92 sport - hesitation and loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 sport - hesitation and loss of power

yosh18981898

Reaction score
City, State
Chana IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
Well, I have to drive my 92 sport 350 miles back to school tomorrow and it has this awful hesitation and power loss problem. Nothing I try will make it go away. I can't stand having to drive it like this. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Heres a list of what I've done so far:

1) New motorcraft spark plugs gapped at 0.54"(factory)

2) New catalytic converter (the old one was bad, and the new one helped, but didn't fix the problem, and took 8 hours to put on :mad: :thumbdwn: )

3) I tried replacing the ignition coil but to no avail (but it was an autozone part)

4) Fuel filter only has about 15,000 miles on it.

5) New PCV valve

6) I ran seafoam through it.

7) I checked all the vacuum lines and made sure they are all connected and well sealed.

8) The spark plug wires only have about 20,000 miles on them

9) The "check engine" light hasn't come on at all.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Air filter maybe is really dirty, or maybe something pluged up in it.
2. MAF sensor try cleaning it.
3. Maybe your tranny is going out, try looking at your rpm's and see how far they go up with you still not moving.
Um I can't think of anything else for now. Hope I could help. :roll:

I have that same problem, happens at the most unwanted times, like a 5-8 seconds. and mines is a manual trans. only happens when trying getting off a red light or stop sign.

Air filter is a one month old KKM cone intake filter, theres nothing wrong with it.

I cleaned the MAF last month when I put the KKM on.

It has a manual trans that runs perfect. Clutch is also in very good shape. It is smooth engaging and doesn't slip at all.

Anyone else have some ideas?

have your O2 sensors checked. mine was doing somthing similar and no check engine light. turned out the be the O2 sensors. I got some kickass gas milage after those were replaced.

Ryan

Even though the check engine light hasn't come on, you might pull thev codes anyway, just for fun. I would be particularly interested in whether or not it passes the KOER test. See tests at www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for instructions using a jumper wire and a voltmeter.
Might try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the fuel pressure is good.

Might want to try resetting your comp by disconnecting the battery for 15 min, have your tried putting your stock intake back, I have seen some post where the kkm does something to the engine where it has hesitation and power loss.
Just some more thoughts. :thumbsup:

check fuel pump pressure could be about to go.would cause lack of power and hesitation

Does the exhaust look more like steam and have an abnormal smell like maybe antifreeze?

I tried disconnecting the battery, it didn't help. No, it is not burning coolant, the heads and block are in good, uncracked condition, the exhaust is clear and smells as it should.

How do I check fuel pressure?

It ran fine for about 2 weeks after putting the KKM on. It had been having this same problem last summer (with the stock intake) but I fixed that by replacing the spark plugs. This is why I don't think its the KKM.

Anyways, I'm back at school now. (it made the 350 mile trip, although it had a hard time keeping 75 MPH up hills while carrying a good sized load :mad: ) So there is very little I'll be able to do with it until Christmas break. I'm thinking that I'll just take it in to our trusted mechanic (yes I said "trusted") and see what he comes up with. I like fixing it myself, but I've reached a point where all I'm doing is replacing parts to no avail, and that's getting expensive.

I had the same problem with my 94xlt and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Not enough pressure was reaching the engine once it was warm.

yosh18981898 said:
How do I check fuel pressure?
Get a fuel pressure gauge and a manual (Chilton's has adequate instructions for testing fuel pressure). Hook up the gauge and see what happens.

Back