• Register Today It's free!

Radio display gone on '00 Mounty

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
This morning, much to my delight, when I started the truck this morning, the entire radio display doesn't show up. I turned off the truck, restarted it, and it still didn't work. All the buttons still work fine and the music still plays, but I just can't see the volume, time, which radio station I'm on, etc. Anyone else had this problem? Would it be expensive to fix? I have an extended "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, but I just took it in to repair EGR issues last week and they wouldn't cover it.

Anyway, would it just be easier to get an aftermarket CD player in place of the one in there now? If so, I want it to still work with my steering wheel radio controls.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the crowd.....happens to everyone...do a search on radio display.....some have tried to repair it themselves with varying rates of success.....others have removed it and sent it out to be fixed. I chose the latter.... cost about $115.00 including shipping and its been going strong for that last 16 months. Lots of info about it on this site.

Lee

Get a new aftermarket radio, much better as far as customising options and such.

Display Repair

I just had VCR Service repair my 99 Sport radio display. Works great and turn around time was only about four days door to door. Cost was $111.00 including all shipping charges.

Name is

Video Service Stop
288 Washington St.
Weymouth, MA 02188
781-337-6800

http://www.videoservicestop.com/

Can't speak highly enough of their service... :eek: :confused:

Yeah...Those are the same guys I used to repair my radio...great service and turn around.

Lee

Do you have the high option steering wheel. If so, you also lost the radio controls there. The internal CD and cassette don't work on mine either. I haven't decided what to do yet. Good luck,
DW

Based on a post by another person with a similar problem I contacted Pioneer who actually manufactured the radio that is in the Explorer's with the display problem. The parts number is (800)421-1404. Just follow the prompts until you get to the parts dept. The component you are looking for is called a Compound Unit. My radio's Ford Part number is YLZF-18C868-CA, in smaller print below you will see the Pioneer number, which is what you need. Mine is FH-2076ZF. At first they weren't sure what I needed, so I listed the part number that another poster had used and they where able to figure out what I needed. If asked, you should be able to tell them Compound unit for your model of radio and be good to go. The part number for mine is HWM0043. Evidently this is the 3rd substitute part for that radio which leads me to beleive its been improved upon a few times. Price of the part was about $88, worked out to $101.30 with two day shipping. I should have the parts on Friday and I will post my results then. If I have time I'll post some pictures of what I did and what the new vs old parts look like. Keeping in mind I've already resoldered them a few times.

Is this the display itself or the subassembly that the ribbon cable connects to?

May have a working model here soon for sale if someone wants it. I know the display has been fixed. No garuntee. It worked well for me for about a month before I took it out. I will verify that it works well before selling it though.

I have the same problem with my radio. Did this fix your radio?

Lewis Littleton said:
Is this the display itself or the subassembly that the ribbon cable connects to?

Actually its none of that. The power supply board for the display is not made very well. AS a result it overheats and disables the display. I have removed mine and resoldered it a few times. The last time moving alot of the resistors up to let them cool better, this let it work for about 2 months.

The kit I just ordered includes this board and a few others. I'll only replace the others IF they are easy enough to do. I should have the parts tomorrow. They are in Atlanta Right now so they should be here in the AM. I hope to be able to pull the radio and take pictures of what I do. I'll post a "how to" of what I did on this site. For the most part if you can use a soldering iron you should be able to do it. Removing the card entails a few screws, a few metal twist holders and un soldering the 4 posts that hold the cover in place. It is not hard at all. I'm going to guess that hte new parts should be substantially better than the old one. As a matter of fact this is the 3rd substitute part for this radio. That leads me to beleive that they improved it a few times after initial production.

I pulled the radio and resoldered the connections on the board you mentioned. It lasted only a few minutes. I see what you mean by the bendable metal tangs that hold it in place. I was afraid to pull it out many times for fear of breaking the tabs from metal fatigue so I went ahead and ordered the replacement from Pioneer based on the part number you gave (HWM0043). Thanks for the information.

I may do that also, when I have time. Did I not see elsewhere that a slightly later version of this radio doesn't have these problems? When time permits, I might try to learn that again, and get one of those. Thanks for the information, good luck,
DonW

Well, the display mysteriously came back on for a few days and now doesn't work anymore. Oh well, it looks like I'll just buy a new radio.

Yes, I've tried punching it (not too hard, though) and it didn't do anything.

Here, check this link out

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123691

Guy was cool as all get out and had my radio done and back in the mail to me the next day. He stands by it for life and cleans and oils everything while he was in there.

He answered all my emails very fast and did everything he told me. Only $60 and that includes return shipping. Not too shabby.

Good Luck!

The radios that do not have the Radio Data System are unaffected by the display problems. From what I know, once the board is fixed, and fixed right, you won't have any problems.

Lewis Littleton said:
I pulled the radio and resoldered the connections on the board you mentioned. It lasted only a few minutes. I see what you mean by the bendable metal tangs that hold it in place. I was afraid to pull it out many times for fear of breaking the tabs from metal fatigue so I went ahead and ordered the replacement from Pioneer based on the part number you gave (HWM0043). Thanks for the information.

Be sure to have them cross reference your radio to that part. There are different parts for different radios.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.cyberwebwerx.com/explorer/

Here is a quick tutorial I put together. This is not a hard job to do. My radio has been working for a week now. It was well worth the money to fix it. Please be sure to get your numbers off the bottom of the radio to they cross reference the right compound kit to your radio. RichC posted this info originally, his 98 had different parts than my 2000.

Back