• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I have a 98 XLT 2wd, 4.0 OHV. I have 185,000 Miles. I went to change the Fule Filter for what I think is the first . I got the little Tool the you place in the fuel line that lets the clips loose so that the filter comes off the line. Well Here is my big problem. I got the rear side of the line off. But the front one will not come off. The tool fits in there but it will not let the filter loose. I end up cutting the fuel filter off with snips. I did this so I could look at the inside of what is holding the filter on. The rear hose has 3 clips on the inside holding the filter on but the front only has one. It will not come off for anything. The tool fits in there but it will not push up the release pin. After 3 Freakin hours. I gave up. I am thinking I may have to replace the fuel line front the front to the back. I will tell you this it does not look like it will be fun either. If any one has any suggestions on getting the fuel filter piece out of the front hose. I am all ears...and will try anything. I have to get this thing back running. My wife needs her truck back before MOnday to get to work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For detailed pics and explaination check out the Fuel filter removal thread. The clips (garter spring) can be forced out... I fought with them for several hours when trying to remove my fuel pump. My problem was the tool released all but one of the garter spring fingers (no matter how I rotated the tool). I ended up inserting the tool and pulling very hard to rip it out. I mangled the one garter spring finger, but used some pliers to remove the garter spring and straingten it out. Good luck with your repair and I will keep an eye out for further posts...

I got the fuel Filter out...and got it replaced... :) THX

I used a small flat screw driver. Like the one used to take out small screw out of electonics. I keep prying the clip back until it was cleared and the filter pipe came out..

Now I got another fuel problem that I thought the filter change would fix.

I will put it on a new thread..

Same here

I have the same EXACT problem.
I posted it here.
I'll try a small screwdriver tomorrow, I hope that works.
If it does I owe you one.

I am imagined the problem would be how to get a replacement for the cutted line. It is a "BIT*H" removing the fuel filter, but with time and patient it could be done. Thank you FORD technology!:thumbsup:

I can't even get either off as mine the clips are dirty, rusted on. I will be taking it into a shop where they and i can pull the sucker off while in the vehicle is in the air.

This is a two man job as when i get the Bracket out of the way on my 1993 EX the fuel filter and line together is FREE to move around. I can't hold the tool, hold the line to push it up off the the filter bulb end and hold the filter all at once to help push the quick release.

Thanks Ford for your briliant stupid quick release BS design as when the vehicle is older it is a PITA to get off.

At least when its in a shop 4-5 up i and the mechanic i know can remove the sucker and all for a $20.00 charge is not bad at all.

So next time as what it cost to do a filter change at a local shop to see if its cheap enough to do.

Now the CLIPS are replacable and are cheap to buy (insert sarcasm here) they cost about $4.00 EACH from the Ford dealership, problem is i don't know which ones mine are so i have to buy 4 rings as Ford has two different styles for my year of vehicle and then i will replace the two that are needed when the filter is off and bring the other two back to Ford for a refund.

The filter was changed two years ago, but its the clips that are rusty and dirty that seize that bugger on.

So much for QUICK RELEASE ..... :)

Had same problem with my 98 Mountie. One side completely rusted/fused. Ended up cutting both lines and replacing with a Dorman end line and some pressure clamps. Now have the old fashion plastic clips. 2 months running, no problems. Now changing the fuel filter will be a 10 minute job. Oh, immeditately got my MPG back up.

Had same problem with my 98 Mountie. One side completely rusted/fused. Ended up cutting both lines and replacing with a Dorman end line and some pressure clamps. Now have the old fashion plastic clips. 2 months running, no problems. Now changing the fuel filter will be a 10 minute job. Oh, immeditately got my MPG back up.

just curoious as to how you did this? i went to change mine today and couldnt get the damn thing to release but i had to give up cause it started to poor on me. how did you hook up the doorman end line, cause on my 98 the line is braided

Change fuel filter on a 1993 Ford Explorer

In the attemto change the fuel oil filter on on my 1993 Ford Explorer, 4.0l, four wheel drive, I was able to get the back or inlet quick connector off.

However, the outlet connector would not disconnect. I purchased a disconnet tool from AutoZone. But, found that it would not fit as it was too long go between the fuel filter and the connector. So, I grind it down to make it fit. And, that did not work either.

Almost, on the verge of giving up and taking to a repair shop, my Son-in-Law came over and helped me out.

Within 30 minutes he had the filter out. and within 10 minutes had the new filter in.

My Son-in- Law disconnected the connector by sniping off the fuel filter tube, and taking a small screwdriver to disconnect the reed type springs inside the connector. Without snipping off the tube, it is impossible or difficult to reach the springs. We were working in the driveway and under the Explorer, as we did not have the luxury of a lift.

Also, I foud that the disconnect tool was useless in removing the filter.

And, beware, do not attempt to force off the connectors, as you will damage the connectors and may require replacing a sections of fuel oil line. Which will be a real nighmare.

I hope this will help those shade tree mechanics like me, who struggle with such repairs, which are simple for the professionals, or good auto mechanics.

Regards,

Mike Ange

Fuel Connectors on Ford Explorers are dumb.

I can't even get either off as mine the clips are dirty, rusted on. I will be taking it into a shop where they and i can pull the sucker off while in the vehicle is in the air.

This is a two man job as when i get the Bracket out of the way on my 1993 EX the fuel filter and line together is FREE to move around. I can't hold the tool, hold the line to push it up off the the filter bulb end and hold the filter all at once to help push the quick release.

Thanks Ford for your briliant stupid quick release BS design as when the vehicle is older it is a PITA to get off.

At least when its in a shop 4-5 up i and the mechanic i know can remove the sucker and all for a $20.00 charge is not bad at all.

So next time as what it cost to do a filter change at a local shop to see if its cheap enough to do.

Now the CLIPS are replacable and are cheap to buy (insert sarcasm here) they cost about $4.00 EACH from the Ford dealership, problem is i don't know which ones mine are so i have to buy 4 rings as Ford has two different styles for my year of vehicle and then i will replace the two that are needed when the filter is off and bring the other two back to Ford for a refund.

The filter was changed two years ago, but its the clips that are rusty and dirty that seize that bugger on.

So much for QUICK RELEASE .....

You are so right about that stupid quick release connector on the fuel oil filter. There is no reason for a design to make a simple job a real struggle.
But, in saying that, many auto designs are not compatible for the shade tree of home mechanics.

Once, I had to remove sections of front end of a pick up truck, just to remove or drop the oil pan. How dumb is that.

Mike

Just went through the hassle of replacing the fuel filter on my 98. It's been several years from last time, and could not remember much. Similar to other people's experience, the inlet side released quite easily, but the outlet was a tough challenge. Finally found out that the trick is to rotate the tool (or the filter) several times while pushed in. This appears to get rid of rust or other junk stuck onto the garter spring. You can't do it with the filter in place, so as tough as it seems, pry it out from that monster spring holder first. Hope it helps someone.

you can also get those springs at ANY auto parts store in the "HELP" section.

:salute:

Back