• Register Today It's free!

How do you replace an ac clutch?

Andy G

Reaction score
City, State
Southaven Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
The clutch on my ac compressor is slowly self destructing on my 92 Explorer.

How do I get it off?
Will I need a puller?
Will I need a press to get the new one one?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to the wreckers and buy a used one...less headaches

Thats a thought but my compressor is new. I wouldnt want to put on an old compressor just to get a working clutch.

Andy

with that thought buy a new clutch of course....but just go to a NAPA or something and they will get you hooked up

There IS a tool to hold the clutch pulley to allow you to remove the center bolt. You will likely need a puller to separate the pulley from the mounted back half (coil) ... well more acurately to remove it from the compressor shaft. Once you get it off the shaft it will come paart from the back half mounted to the compressor.......you might be able to improvise a puller (it's worked for me with big ass pullers and a brass hammer, but the puller designed for the job is nice to have. Autozone rents these tools I believe. The coil mates to the front of the compressor body - bolts on), and the new bearings and pulley assembly mounts back on the compressor shaft with the bolt supplying the necessary pressure to push it back into place on the shaft - and the holding tool holding the puller from rotating as you tighten it. Make sure you line up the woodruff key carefully as you put the front pulley back onto the compressor shaft. It's not an impossible job. Be sure and make sure the air gap is within specs (usually around .060 as I recall.)

Glacier thanks a lot! That is just the kind of imformation I was looking for.

Can you give me some tips or ideas how to adjust the air gap?

I grew up with a wrench in my hand but Ive never touched an ac compressor.

Thanks
Andy

Take your compressor with you and ask whoever you buy the clutch from the change it for you.

Autozone changed a alternator pulley for me so I could gice them the core after I had it tested. NAPA also has some tools behind the counter.

I would think an impact is key for removing and tightening pulleys.

You could certainly do what is suggested... but might be easier to just leave the compressor installed and the refrigerant charge intact and use the A/C mount to hold the compressor when you remove the clutch. I'm not in favor of using an impact wrench, certainly not for reinstallation of the pulley anyway.

That's true, you don't want to loose your charge.

Usually impacts are suggested because it's hard to torque a nut on a spinning shaft., although you can certainly use the fan belt to help hold the pulley.

I thought the clutch was part of the compressor, & you had to buy a new compressor to replace it?

No they are separate. Usually though when you buy a replacement compressor it comes in the aftermarket world with a new clutch as well... in the industry you can buy them either way.

And Lonestar, while what you say is true, if you get the holding tool, you are essentially wrenching in opposite directions with one on the nut and one being the holding tool, so it's academic.

Ahhh, the special holding tool.

Back