Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

R and R of transfer case

Old 01-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
EXPLORER DAD
california
95 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
R and R of transfer case

What is the estimated time required to remove and replace a transfer case in a 1995 Explorer. I am pretty sure it has the Borg Warner 1354. What is the estimated weight of the transfer case? I found a rebuilt unit online in Utah and wondered what the ups charges would be.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How long? Depends on who is going it I guess. I've put in and taken out a lot of transfer cases. If it was my truck.. I would pull one out and put another one in in an hour.

But your BW4405 should weigh in at about 85-90lbs.

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
Old 01-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
boominXplorer
Elite Explorer
Virginia Beach, Va

00 4x4 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
prob somewhere between 80-100 lbs. An R & R would take no more than 4 hours if you have decent knoledge

2002 Explorer 4dr for Parts
My eBay auctions
Old 01-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Premier
Panzerfaust™
Utah

96 sport

Vehicle Specs

Just to pull it off, and put another on.. I would say an hour to two max. Mine was stuck when I tried to pull it off, so it took longer.

I had one shipped from Texas or New Mexico.. and it was 60-90$(dont recall) for forward air shipping.

6" Suspension, Locked Front/Rear, 1354 Manual T-case
ARB Snorkel, and Custom Pinstriping
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPLORER DAD
What is the estimated time required to remove and replace a transfer case in a 1995 Explorer. I am pretty sure it has the Borg Warner 1354. What is the estimated weight of the transfer case? I found a rebuilt unit online in Utah and wondered what the ups charges would be.
Welcome to the site. You have the Borg Warner 4405 Control Trac transfer case in your 95. Are you sure its your transfer case that is bad? What are your symptoms on your truck? Is your truck not shifting into 4WD? Most times its simply the electric shift motor that needs it contacts cleaned. The transfer case will take about an hour or so.. There is a nice write up on this forum on how to remove it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
EXPLORER DAD
california
95 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
any special "Ford" tools required? I plan on doing this in my garage with jack stands, and a transmission jack. Anything to watch out for?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

A regular floor jack would work. You don't even need that really if you have two people under there. But no special tools needed.

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
Old 01-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
glfredrick
Elite Explorer
Louisville, Kentucky

86-98 Ranger STX

Vehicle Specs

You don't need any special Ford tools (not even a hot wrench) except that the loc-tite on the driveshaft bolts comes loose easier if WARMED up with a propane torch to around 200*F.

I use one of the new styled ratchet wrenches (not a socket set) to get the adaptor bolts out - they seem to be a natural and speed things up greatly.

I wouldn't worry about weight - they don't weigh that much - probably around 75 pounds - any reasonably healty man should be able to "bench press" the T-case in and out.

Note as well that loosening the adaptor bolts (and make sure you get the right ones - take out the ones going INTO the T-case - not the ones going into the tranny case) will NOT cause the T-case to drop down... It will stay right there hanging on the transmission output shaft until you slide it backwards about 4 inches. It also has a locating dowel that helps with realignment. Makes the whole thing rather simple. Just slam it up thee, get it aligned, then stick the bolts back in.

With all of that being siad, I'm with some of the other guys that have asked the reason for the R&R. Generally with those T-cases, an oil change or a shift motor repair is all that is needed unless you know for sure that you have more major problems. They are pretty bulletproof. You don't need to pull it for an oil change - or to deal with the shift motor.

I would pull the shift motor (look here for a thread dealing with them: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=123542 ) and shift the T-case manually first to make sure that it is actually bad... Just grab the little triangle-shaped stub that sticks out where the shift motor goes and twist it with a pliers or vise grips and test the truck. If the T-case is good, then you have other problems.

Oh - I R&R mine in under an hour - but I use air tools and know exactly what I am doing. I also built a jack to assist with that sort of thing...

Just an old Harbor Freight cheapy modified to deal with transmissions and transfer cases...

Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I need a jack like that! When I pulled my tranny last month I used some crappy rental tranny jack. It was more of a pain than anything else. Nice work!

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
Old 01-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
glfredrick
Elite Explorer
Louisville, Kentucky

86-98 Ranger STX

Vehicle Specs

Thanks... It isn't pretty yet, but it sure works great.

I can lower it all the way to floor level to get it under the truck - then lift it to 38 inches high. I put in my 5R55E myself in under an hour with this baby... Worth every penny I have in it (about $8.95 for the front wheels!).

I just cut and welded some scrap steel to extend everything and to spread the front legs out for stability and clearance. I'm still working on a multi-purpose head for the jacking end - and making a few other small changes, but it is perfect for driveway work.

Some of the attachments in the works:

A transfer case adaptor (sort of a Y-shaped yoke that will cradle the T-case)
A rear axle adaptor (a pair of V-s designed to go on either side of the pumpkin for setting axles into place - or for supporting them while working).
And, of course, an adjustable plate for the actual tranny work (the pic only has a temp plate installed - no adjustments - but it still worked with one swipe!).

Note the short handle. I tacked a D handle from an old shovel on there to make it easier to use under the truck.

BTW, it will still pick the rear end of my kid's XJ off the ground - so it will lift, but I don't intend to use it for that heavy a load - the front wheels won't take that kind of stress.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page