Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

function of vent & actuator behind glove box?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Gonzo
Elite Explorer
Vancouver, Wa
'98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
function of vent & actuator behind glove box?

Here is my problem: When the heat/ac is off, air blows from the drivers side floor vent (nothing comes out of the passenger vent). The temperature is adjustable, even when everything is off. It blows harder at higher speeds, and less at lower speeds.
I tried doing the blend door fix, but when I took everything apart, I found out that it already worked fine. But I noticed this actuator. what is this for? Does it have anything to do with my problem? It is located behind the glove box. No matter what setting I put the heat/AC controls on, this actuator does not even attempt to move. You can see the vent behind the actuator. What is this vent for?

Underside of actuator with white vacuum hose:

Actuator with vent behind:

'98 4x4 Sport, Fogs mod, Rancho 9000's, TT, Shackles, Silverstars, Dynamat, Flowmaster, Thunderform, 31's, Driving lights in bumper, Brown wire mod, Hood light w/20 ft cord, Swiss cheese airbox, Extended breathers.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
'96explorereddiebauer
Clemmons, NC
'06 Honda Accord EX-L

Vehicle Specs

That's the recirc control. When you turn on A/C Max, the door will push up to block incoming air so the air will cool quicker. Check it out. Turn it to A/C Max and see it move, then turn it to any other modes.

Hmmm...just reread your thread. Well, it's probably a malfunction actuator.

'98 Honda Accord EX-V6
'05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Old 01-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Bwana Bob
Morris Plains, NJ
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, that actuator is what Ford calls a vacuum motor. It should open and close the recirculator door, depending on whether you slect normal or max. A/C. Mine went intermittent. I found that the problem was caused by a vacuum switch that controls that door actuator. The vacuum switch is on the heat/A/C control lever (on my '92). The part cost me about $8.

Bob

Old 01-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Gonzo
Elite Explorer
Vancouver, Wa
'98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So would this valve be on the a/c selector switch on 95+? (I'm a 98 sport) So far, from the info I have recieved, I am guessing that the vacuum motor problem, and the drivers floor vent problem are not related. The whole reason I started looking into this was because the floor vent would blow when driving, and would not shut off. I tried doing a search, but all I could find was blend door stuff.

'98 4x4 Sport, Fogs mod, Rancho 9000's, TT, Shackles, Silverstars, Dynamat, Flowmaster, Thunderform, 31's, Driving lights in bumper, Brown wire mod, Hood light w/20 ft cord, Swiss cheese airbox, Extended breathers.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page