Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Offroad Drivelines

Notices

Offroad Drivelines Ford Explorer and Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, Driveshafts and Axles.

how do you tell if a cv joint in the front driveshaft is bad?

Old 01-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
mercuryman97
greenville,sc
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
how do you tell if a cv joint in the front driveshaft is bad?

i have a 1997 mercury mountaineer.....and it has been making a bad clunking and popping noise and a jerky feeling when the front driveshaft is in....so i removed it and replaced all the ujoints and the problem still exists so i removed the driveshaft again.....so someone told me it could be the cv joint in the front driveshaft....so now i want to know how i can tell if the cv joint is bad and how to change it if it is bad.....pics would be great but not necessary?thanks
mercuryman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
those noises would be the front driveshaft. With it installed, jerk the shaft around at the t-case... if there is a bit of movement, and you can hear clanking, then the CV joint is shot. And that joint is not replaceable, you gotta be a new d/s. The one I need, from fastpartsnetwork, is around $400... I've heard of a replacement that uses a u-joint instead of CV joint, and includes an adapter for changing to that style d/s, but haven't seen or found one myself.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
agallant
Boston, MA
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the front drive shaft go on my 2000. Did the same exace thing. One thing you can try is tak the drive shaft out. If the noise goes away there you go. I drove with mine out for about a year. Any way when i called ford for a replacment the wanted over $600 for just the part. I ended up getting one at a junk yard for $75. Just a word of advice, if you drive around with out the front driveshaft in and decide to put one in at a later date, chase the threds with a tap and remember that you have to do a few turns with the tap and back it out. I snapped a bolt off in my t-case and broke a tap aswell.

-AG
agallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
I've heard of a replacement that uses a u-joint instead of CV joint, and includes an adapter for changing to that style d/s, but haven't seen or found one myself.
I'm changing my front driveshaft to a u-joint driveshaft with a double cardan yoke - to compensate for the lift. I have a '95 driveshaft in the garage with a D.C. on it and a slip joint, so it should work out just fine. The CV-joint in the Explorers aren't really that strong in my opinion. That is one reason why I'm changing and getting away from those.

-Drew

Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
agallant
Boston, MA
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerDMB00
I'm changing my front driveshaft to a u-joint driveshaft with a double cardan yoke
-Drew
Where did you get it?

-AG
agallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

It's a special adapter - I got it from a guy off the board, I don't know if you can find them. Good luck. I wuld just purchase the driveshaft from superlift - they'll work just as great.

-Drew

Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska

Vehicle Specs

there is another thread floating around here where I posted 2 dif places where you can buy the u-joint style d/s and it comes with the adapter.. around $300 I believe... wether or not that includes a core charge I'm not sure... lemme see if I can find the thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska

Vehicle Specs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=127181

but.. the reply I received from Rockford is that the price I had there was not for the u-joint style I guess.. it's actually around $350 for that one.. but anywhere, there's a couple places to contact.

Quote:
Anybody know anything about 'em? I emailed 'em about a front driveshaft, like 2 days ago and haven't heard a response yet. Wondering if anybody knows anything?
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/convshaftdrawings.htm
Quote:
ok, anybody wanting a conversion front driveshaft for the AWD Sploders, they also have them at http://www.shafts.com for $232
oh, and Rockford has it for $230.31 (if it's the right one)

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page