1998 Explorer XLT Wheel/Tire Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT Wheel/Tire Question

I take a set of 4 OEM 17" sparkle alloy rims that came off a 2003 Explorer XLT and take them to America's Tire Co. to get tires and have them put these rims on my 1998 Explorer XLT. I knew the bolt pattern was correct but then I learn of a thing called OFFSET. The rims don't fit cause they have a offset of 44 and I believe my explorer has 0 offset.

Then the worker tell me that even if the rims did have an offset of 0, they would not touch them due to all the lawsuits with my generation of Explorers. I could dismount the rims myself, they could put the tire on, then I'd have to mount the wheel back on myself. I wasn't about to do all that even if the rims did fit.

My question is this; What size rims and tires will fit my '98 Explorer XLT and is there any place that will mount the tires and give you warranty on them? If I get new rims with tires, the tires must have the same type of warranty that America's Tire Co. offers. Their prices are the best I've seen which is why I went to them but they say they will not put any tire on my explorer other than the 235/55/r15 that is stock on it.

Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of tire are you looking to get? Are you going for off-road or street?
Do you want bigger to fill the wheel wells?
I have BF Goodrich 31x10.5r15 ATs on mine and they are nice. I would suggest these if you wanna do some off-roading.

I am not going to be doing any offroading. I want at least 17" rims. It's not really the tire I'm concerned about but more so the rim size and being able to mount it.

I'm also interested in putting -03 wheels on my -98. after lots of digging, it looks to me like the 98s are offset 45, and the 03s are offset 25. So, if your tire and wheel SIZE stay the same, changing from 98 to 03 moves your tire inboard 20mm. I'm going to check tomorrow to see if I'll need spacers to run stock tires on the rim switch as described. I'm not pursuing taller tires at this time. anyway, if you're going to use the newer rims that move your tires inboard, and upsize also, there's a good chance of rubbing the inside of the tire.
'em are my thoughts.

91CheapExp said:
98s are offset 45, and the 03s are offset 25.

Actually you got the right offsets just reversed, 98=25 & 03=45

""Actually you got the right offsets just reversed, 98=25 & 03=45""
yep yep yep you're right. I misread my little pictures. thanks for clarifying.

Rims and Tires

I am brand new to these forums, and I have a couple of questions about rims and tires. I'm trying to get new rims and tires for my 98 XLT, I have 4 GG AT2 31x1050R15's waiting on rims. I wanted to know bolt patter specs and offset specs so that I get the right tires. I have some custom fender flares that stick off my explorer a little more than eddie bauers. I was wondering what Rim I would need to fix the offset so that the tires sit perfectly under the flares.

Any suggestions?

I am brand new to these forums, and I have a couple of questions about rims and tires. I'm trying to get new rims and tires for my 98 XLT, I have 4 GG AT2 31x1050R15's waiting on rims. I wanted to know bolt patter specs and offset specs so that I get the right tires. I have some custom fender flares that stick off my explorer a little more than eddie bauers. I was wondering what Rim I would need to fix the offset so that the tires sit perfectly under the flares.

Any suggestions?

The bolt pattern is easy; it's 5x4.5".

The correct offset is a little harder. I believe stock offset
on yours is +12mm with a 7" wheel. To fit those tires,
you can go with either a 7 or 8 inch wide rim. I'd stay
as close as possible to stock offset; maybe a +6 or +12
with a 7" rim, or -6 to 0 offset with an 8" rim.

You get into steering geometry issues when going with
very negative offsets, that's why I like to stay near
what the factory uses...

HUGE help! Thank you so much!

Would Havoc ballistic Off road rims work? For some reason I can't find bolt pattern stats or anything on them.....

HUGE help! Thank you so much!

Would Havoc ballistic Off road rims work? For some reason I can't find bolt pattern stats or anything on them.....
I looked at some on-line Ballistic sellers, and you're right,
they don't give much information. I suspect they have
several bolt patterns drilled into each wheel, so they'll
fit most rear-wheel drive trucks....

Do you think I'll be ok if I got 15's for either one of them?

I would e-mail a few of the sellers and try to
get more information on bolt pattern and
backspacing for those wheels.

Back