Opinions on LubeGard Red transmission additive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on LubeGard Red transmission additive?

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I just bought a bottle of LubeGard Red in anticipation of doing some 5R55E maintainence soon. According to what I've heard, the LubeGard is a substitute for the Sperm whale oil that was previously used in ATF. It's supposed to stabilize the fluid, make it run cooler and last longer. It seems that many trans repair shops use it to prevent new valves from sticking, etc...

Ordinarily I'm not in favor of using additives, but this stuff seems to work very well, from what I've heard, just wondering if anyone here has used it...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of only 2 additives that the majority here will recommend! Lube gard has been around for years, and most tranny shops and OEM put it in them. Trouble was, that for a long time you couldnt get it 'Over the counter.' Lube gard is GREAT stuff. The only other highly recommended product is Sea Foam, an engine cleaner that works very well in older/higher mileage trucks to clean carbon deposits and other accumulated 'crud' from the engine. And YES I use it (Lube gard) in all my vehicles.

Quick Question, I was looking at the bottle for this stuff, and it says "do not use with Ford type F ATF, use only with Dexron". Is this stuff safe for use with Explorer transmissions?

Not sure on that snowdog. You may try calling thier 800 info number. (1-800-333-LUBE) I THINK you can use the black bottle modifier with yours. Check with them 1st tho'. (They make 3 products Red, black and green) Wait, come to think of it: They now make a 'Universal' type for type F. it's in a BLACK bottle with RED cap. That's the one you need.

WHO IS USING TYPE F????

Old stuff, very old stuff, never used in transmissions in the Explorer.... nowadays suitable for Power Steering or very old trannies mainly.

Glacier is correct... The old Ford type F was a highly "sticky" transmission oil that caused the clutches to lock up hard. IMO, Type F is the base oil for the B&M Trick Shift oils (or some variant of that idea at least). I used to run it in my C-4 and it would shift so hard with B&M Transpack and clutches that it would pick the front tires up on the 1-2 shift on my 69 Ford Van! Of course, the van was highly modified (running a high RPM built 302 turning around 350 HP into a full manual shift C-4 to a Detroit locker 4.11 rear).

Lube guard is good stuff, and a good many re-manufacturers will void their warranty UNLESS you run it!

glfredrick said:
Glacier is correct... The old Ford type F was a highly "sticky" transmission oil that caused the clutches to lock up hard. IMO, Type F is the base oil for the B&M Trick Shift oils (or some variant of that idea at least). I used to run it in my C-4 and it would shift so hard with B&M Transpack and clutches that it would pick the front tires up on the 1-2 shift on my 69 Ford Van! Of course, the van was highly modified (running a high RPM built 302 turning around 350 HP into a full manual shift C-4 to a Detroit locker 4.11 rear).

Lube guard is good stuff, and a good many re-manufacturers will void their warranty UNLESS you run it!

Off topid glfredrick, but were you the dude who got busted big time for speeding in a built up muscle car, so you sold it to make the judge happy, then built up the Econoline because nobody figured you'd be fast in it? :D

Many Thanx, Guys! I appreciate the info. I know that nowadays Ford trannies use Mercon instead of type F, but the "use with Dexron only" part made me ask. Props to MCTOY for the 800 number and the color code!

F14CRAZY said:
Off topid glfredrick, but were you the dude who got busted big time for speeding in a built up muscle car, so you sold it to make the judge happy, then built up the Econoline because nobody figured you'd be fast in it? :D

Ah... Um... :rolleyes: :nono: :burnout:

Yup, that would be me.

And, no one did figure that I was fast in it, of course, until it was too late...

Glad to help snowdog...Aint it wierd how you cant remember your OWN home phone#, but something as off the wall as Lube Gard sticks?????

Back