• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine light

BigDakota

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer SportTrac
My check engine light came on today. I shut downto reset but it came on a feww minutes later. At first it would come on then go out..the intervals between it coming on and going off seemed to speed up. Any ideas?

It has come on in the past during a road trip where I am on the throttle hard. It would stay off after I would shut down and reset.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trouble codes

There are a lot of things it could be. You should have the codes read, or read them yourself. Even if the light isn't on, the system saves the past trouble codes.

I believe your 95 has an ODB1 computer which is easy to read. Any Chiltons or Haynes book should tell you how to do it. Also, many mechanics will read it either for free or little charge. Once you know what your code is, and what it stands for, search the forum. If you can't find anything, post back here.

Good luck.

test

Thanks
I will try the self test once I get it figured out.

I am thinking it is the o2 sensor. Someone told me there is more than one, Is this true? .My BII had one go out and was doing the same with the light. The only thing was that the BII would dog out and sometimes stop running!

O2 sensor is one possibility, yes. Your '95 has 2 O2 sensors, I believe. Get the codes read before going out to buy parts, though.

MrShorty said:
O2 sensor is one possibility, yes. Your '95 has 2 O2 sensors, I believe.
3 actually, but get the codes before you do ANYTHING!!!

Ok, I think I know someone who might have a handheld code reader to pull the codes.

Thanks for the input

Mike

Oh yea, I noticed tonight that when I let off the throttle to slow down, the motor starts surging or something, it feels and sounds like pieces of my drivetrain are going to be left behind!

Robb said:
3 actually, but get the codes before you do ANYTHING!!!
1995 is EEC IV, should only have 2 O2 sensors.

Well, I finally found out the problem. The TPS is bad.
Is that the module on the throttle body?

That would be the throttle position sensor. Yes, it is on the side of the throttle body. Just follow the wiring harness and you'll find it. It should be really easy to replace.

Thanks BigBlue !!!!!!!!

the check engine light

comes on just on long trips doesn't do it around town, just on trips when i'm doing over 65 for a long period of time

RockinExplorer said:
comes on just on long trips doesn't do it around town, just on trips when i'm doing over 65 for a long period of time
What codes are you getting? (See tests www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for instructions, assuming your '95 is EEC-IV/OBD-1 like most '95's)

aldive said:
I believe that 2 is correct.

same as mine it has just 2

Eneurb said:
1995 is EEC IV, should only have 2 O2 sensors.
You are correct, I brainfarted. When you spend time under both a '95 and a '96, sometimes they tend to run together. Sorry 'bout that.

just wish it was easy to get the codes out of the 95 as it is my other cars...

have not been able to do it yet since my check engine light is out...

You say that my 95 has the OBD-1 system, right!? I was looking at some code readers at Wally World (Wal-Mart)ha--! The OBD-1 says that it will work on these systems up to 95, but it says with the exceptions of the 1995 Explorer,with a few others I can not recall right now. The OBD-II scanners start at the 96 model Explorers and newer! I am slightly confused. Is there another scanner model or brand I need to look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Wal-Mart OBD-I (EEC-IV) code reader will work on your '95 Explorer.

1995 was the "transition" year for Ford from OBDI to OBDII. Some vehicles stayed with the old, some got the new. Explorers still had OBDI, while Rangers moved on to OBDII. By '96 (as far as I know), ALL Fords had OBDII installed. The '95 Explorer, while still being OBDI, DOES have the OBDII port located under the dash, but it doesn't work. :D The OBDI (EEC-IV) port is still under the hood, just as it was on the '91-'94 Explorers.

Back