98 sohc 4.0 tranny problem or what?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 sohc 4.0 tranny problem or what??

Lefy

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
about a hour ago.
i was driving up to school like 3 hrs from my home.
i was noticing on the drive that truck didn't seem to have the power it usually does but wasn't completely sure
and if I got off the gas and then got on it again it seemed as if something with giving or or something had play in the drivetrain sorta felt like my rear driveshaft had play in it.
wasn't sure though.
i have an automatic
so i get up to my exit off the thurway and get off. come to a stop[ at the stop sign and truck stalls. what the hell. but ok
start it up put i in gear, and again she dies wtf, ok start her put he in 1 dies, start put her in 2, and were off so i figured 1st gear was dead, that sucks but at least i can make it to school.

get a few miles away and have to stop again, she dies again but this time she doesn't wanna start in 1 2 d, but she'll go in reverse.
ok wtf, so i get out of traffic and check fluid levels on the tranny oil , everything, let her idle for a little, and everything seems normal,
then i get in put her is 2 and go not problem, she does seem like she is doggin it hardcore off the start while in 2.
make it do school and park and come in still waondering what the hell is going on,
my trucks got like 151k on the original tranny so it could be dead, but help me out with any ideas you have about what is going on?
any info is more then welcome.
thanks

also what tranny is in my truck, if anyone knows that would be very helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

any one have any idea

You have the 5R55E. Your initial discription of problems would lead me to believe their is a problem with the torque converter. Only being able to start in 2 could indicate other problems, but may also be indicative of the torque converter. Hopefully some of the Tranny guru's will chime in.

bump

I don't understand the whole "bump" thing...

bump
just bumps it up to the top of the thread so everyone sees it when they comin the forum

Sounds like the torque convert lockup did not release. Check all the wiring for bad connections at the gearbox end.

the torque convert lockup not releasing ok
how could i fix this replace the torque converter, or is it some kind of sensor or switch

any help would be much appreciated thanks

do our trucks have idle control sensors

i dropped the tranny and had it rebuilt

the mechanic said it was malfunctioning torque converter and some valves were sticking or something like that
anyway a grand later it driveing again, I haven't driven it as i'm at college, but my pops has and he says its driving fine but takes longer to kick down compared to before, what could cause this??

I have a 95 Explorer and I need to know if there is any other kind of transmission I can put in it besides a explorer.I have heard a ford aerostar would work but I would like to know for a fact before we pull this tranny and try it only to find it doesnt work.Can someone please help me .

from what i know your limited to the stock tranny.

depends on your engine but i think you might be able to put a 700r4 in with the right adaptors.

an aerostar tranny i don't think that would work unless it's a two wheel drive explorer. i don't really know though

Back