• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake won't disengage

buckeyebt

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 xlt
Parking brake was applied and now will not release. They are actually locked very tightly. I've tried things with the break pedals and release pull, but with no luck. Any ideas appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try pulling on the cabel under the truck this works some times a good hard yank

If pulling the cable doesn't work, try backing off the cable adjuster. You need to determine if the problem is with the front cable, or the cables going into the wheels. If both wheels are locked, I would assume it's the front cable/pedal setup.

It looks like only one wheel is locked. Where is the cable adjuster? Thanks!

it's along side of the frame rail on the driver side - I believe it's right between the driver and rear door. I had this problem on my Explorer after the body lift, we had to disconnect the ebrake so when you put the ebrake on it woudn't let go - but I can't remember how we fixed it. My memory is fading on me.

-Drew

You cable might be rusted up a little also. I would try to put some penetrating lubricant in the cable.

I had this problem on other vechiles of mine.

Something to try if it is locked, if the wheel will still turn, is back up semi quickly and hit the brakes hard but not hard enough to lock them up. This sometimes will free it up (at least on drum brakes), not sure if it will work on disk ones also.

--Chad

Back off the adjuster on the offending wheel, remove the cable that attaches to the backing plate on the axle. Get a new e-brake cable. Same thing happened to mine. Bet you ten internet dollars that its on the drivers side, and the rubber coating is worn off of it to the metal coiling inside?

Back