Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

rear hatch recall

Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
mhking
south carolina
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
rear hatch recall

well, here goes.
i took my 2002 explorer into the dealership for routine maintenance and the fellow told me about the recall on the rear hatch, i had heard about it but i dont use the thing because its just easier to raise the whole back gate. i figured what the heck, what could go wrong, so i took it in. 6hrs later when i went to pick it up they explained how they reached a new level of incompetence by stripping out the screws and now i have to get a new hatch installed. i was reassured by being told its not uncommon they do it all the time when doing the recall. yeah! thats what i thought too....so now i have to take it in for 2 or 3 days and hope they dont screw it up more and that the paint will match when i get it back....its fairway ford of anderson south carolina where stupidity is job one...i thought i was just being picky when i had taken it in before to have a new seat rail installed where the motor went out and when i looked under the driver seat there were wires hanging everywhere and the tab they mount to was missing. after moving the seat back and forth i saw the wires hanging on the rails on the floor and took it back and i was told ,,your right there is a piece missing.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
schmoken
Lingle, WY
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Seems to be the common attitude towards dealers these days.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Eneurb
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
1998 Limited

Vehicle Specs

They do it all the time with that recall???? I've done atleast 50 of them, without the slightest problem... Did you see what happened to the hatch??? Maybe they screwed up and busted the glass...

Old 03-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
mhking
south carolina
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
they stripped out the torx screws. probably using pneumatic ratchet or wrong torx bit.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

and they have to replace the hatch because of the screws? up something isnt right or the dealership techs are really stupid......

however i wouldnt put it past that though... i owrked @ wheel works, a tire place, and 2 Ford dealership Techs! asked one of our Tire guys! how to lower his mustang!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
blichy
Naperville, IL
'13 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They should be supplying you with a free loaner/rental when you have to take it in to correct their mistakes. If they don't want to do that, then I would talk to the dealer principal or owner and insist on it. You may even ask that they come to your house/work to pick up your Ex, and drop off the loaner. Their mistake shouldn't have to cause you a big inconvenience.

That said, when I took mine in for the recall, the dealer called within 2 hours to tell me that it was ready. When I picked it up, they had washed it, which I hadn't done in several weeks (or so).

'13 Explorer Sport
'13 Cayenne S
'95 911 Cabriolet
Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
MonumentalX
Grand Junction, Colorado
2003 XLT NBX

Vehicle Specs

Yep, same for me. couple of hours and washed and on my way. I'd give them a heap of grief and get the loaner.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

dealerships blow. They don't do free work (i.e. warranty) even if it has a deductible.

-Drew

Old 03-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
the_tool_man
Spartanburg, SC
'01 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Hi mhking:

I used to live in Anderson. Fairway Ford sucked way back then, so your experience doesn't surprise me at all. I've had better success with other dealerships in the Greenville - Spartanburg area. As others have said, they should have offered you a loaner. You should insist on getting one.

Regards,
John.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Eneurb
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
1998 Limited

Vehicle Specs

The recall kit comes with new torx bolts... something smells fishy...

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page