rear hatch recall

mhking

Reaction score
City, State
south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
well, here goes.
i took my 2002 explorer into the dealership for routine maintenance and the fellow told me about the recall on the rear hatch, i had heard about it but i dont use the thing because its just easier to raise the whole back gate. i figured what the heck, what could go wrong, so i took it in. 6hrs later when i went to pick it up they explained how they reached a new level of incompetence by stripping out the screws and now i have to get a new hatch installed. i was reassured by being told its not uncommon they do it all the time when doing the recall. yeah! thats what i thought too....so now i have to take it in for 2 or 3 days and hope they dont screw it up more and that the paint will match when i get it back....its fairway ford of anderson south carolina where stupidity is job one...i thought i was just being picky when i had taken it in before to have a new seat rail installed where the motor went out and when i looked under the driver seat there were wires hanging everywhere and the tab they mount to was missing. after moving the seat back and forth i saw the wires hanging on the rails on the floor and took it back and i was told ,,your right there is a piece missing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems to be the common attitude towards dealers these days. :fire:

They do it all the time with that recall???? I've done atleast 50 of them, without the slightest problem... Did you see what happened to the hatch??? Maybe they screwed up and busted the glass...

they stripped out the torx screws. probably using pneumatic ratchet or wrong torx bit.

and they have to replace the hatch because of the screws? up something isnt right or the dealership techs are really stupid......

however i wouldnt put it past that though... i owrked @ wheel works, a tire place, and 2 Ford dealership Techs! asked one of our Tire guys! how to lower his mustang!

They should be supplying you with a free loaner/rental when you have to take it in to correct their mistakes. If they don't want to do that, then I would talk to the dealer principal or owner and insist on it. You may even ask that they come to your house/work to pick up your Ex, and drop off the loaner. Their mistake shouldn't have to cause you a big inconvenience.

That said, when I took mine in for the recall, the dealer called within 2 hours to tell me that it was ready. When I picked it up, they had washed it, which I hadn't done in several weeks (or so).

Yep, same for me. couple of hours and washed and on my way. I'd give them a heap of grief and get the loaner.

dealerships blow. They don't do free work (i.e. warranty) even if it has a deductible.

-Drew

Hi mhking:

I used to live in Anderson. Fairway Ford sucked way back then, so your experience doesn't surprise me at all. I've had better success with other dealerships in the Greenville - Spartanburg area. As others have said, they should have offered you a loaner. You should insist on getting one.

Regards,
John.

The recall kit comes with new torx bolts... something smells fishy...

Back