Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Brakes grab when it's wet outside

Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
rocco123
Endicott, NY

1994 XLT & 2002 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Brakes grab when it's wet outside

I've hadthis problem for over a year. When it's raining outside, and my explorer is in the garage (or parked outside) my brakes will grab. This only happens until it's driven for a little while. I have replaced the front pads and changed all of the brake fluid, & it hasn't helped. It seems like the front brakes are what grab and cause a sudden stop.
I don't understand it. This happens during first brake applications even after it's been in the garage. What could cause it? Brake booster?
Rear shoes have plenty of material left.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
nascar_intimid
st.catharines,ontario

'94 eddie ..'02 limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine does it too. I tread lightly on the first brake application when wet then it's o.k. My GMC Safari did it too. Just the rotors being wet is all. I know it shouldn't do it but ...whatever.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
rocco123
Endicott, NY

1994 XLT & 2002 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I can understand that the rotors would be wet, but if I simply pull the thing to the top of my 50 ft long driveway from pulling out of the garage, they didn't have a chance to get wet. I believe it has something to do with moisture in the air. I know the brake fluid had moisture by the color, so I changed that. Heard that could cause the booster to not function right. It's just an annoyance thing, but my wife drives the truck and then I always hear about it.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
msmith65
Dallas
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

That used to happen with a car I own that has drum brakes all around.

The only solution was to replace the linings.

Fixes since Aug. 2004: radius-arm bushings; driver's power-window motor; cleaned MAF sensor; replaced trans low-reverse servo "D" rings; new fan and fan clutch; ignition-switch lock & tumbler; new radiator; new Kumho tires; added heater-control valve; replaced trans modulator
Old 04-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Eneurb
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
1998 Limited

Vehicle Specs

If it's just the rear brakes locking up (which I figure it is), you may just have crappy linings.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
rocco123
Endicott, NY

1994 XLT & 2002 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I can stand to change the rears. I know the wheel cylinders are good ( no leaks). If they did I could understand them grabbing. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Eneurb
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
1998 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Rear shoe linings have definately been improved over the years to be able to handle the moisture better.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
snoborder42
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
92 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

My moms explorer does this and it is really annoying. But it was the front brakes that would grab when they are wet and they only do it when it wet. But i noticed they they only do it with the ford brake pads. I changed them once and put on brake pads from the parts store and the grabbing completely stopped.

RIP:
1993 "Old Blue" XLT 4x2
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
msmith65
Dallas
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Try switching shoes/pads side-to-side, one end at a time, and see when the problem moves.

Fixes since Aug. 2004: radius-arm bushings; driver's power-window motor; cleaned MAF sensor; replaced trans low-reverse servo "D" rings; new fan and fan clutch; ignition-switch lock & tumbler; new radiator; new Kumho tires; added heater-control valve; replaced trans modulator
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #10
huskyfan23
Rah no Hans Bwix
WA

1994 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mine do the same the thing! I never thought anything of it. Goes away in 1/8 mile.

I'm no doctor, but I am a self-proclaimed genius. There's no reason not to trust me.
What kind of dessert causes women to gain the most weight? Wedding cake
Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
trucku
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.

2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I never had an extreme case of it binding or grabbing. I park outside. When it rains you will see rust on the rotors. The longer the vehicle sits the more rust will be present. The brakes will grab very harshly for the first block or so.Sometimes I would hear a break "groan". Once the rust was removed, I had no breaking issues. I would try semi metalic pads or ceramic. I have heard some people praise ceramic pads.

2002 XLS 4.0 SOHC 4x4. Frantz Bypass filter, Mobil 1 5W30.Perma-cool dual remote (2 full flow PureOne PL30001). Perma-cool remote transmission filter (Pure One PL30001). Scanguage II, Sunpro Oil Pressure Guage
Gen 4 mirrors

"The More Complex The Mind, The Greater The Need For The Simplicity Of Play"

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page