how to: replace front seat belt w/pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to: replace front seat belt w/pics

96limitedX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
im not really sure where to put this. but i needed to replace my front drivers seat belt. the guy that drove it before me was large and the belt dident retract all the way and got stuck in the door. causing the belt to get very fryed and unsafe IMO. so i went to the local junk yard. found another 95-96 explorer with my saddle tan interior color. and i grabed the almost brand new looking belt for $10. so heres a step by step.

first you need to move the drivers seat all the way up and forword.
105310.jpg

then you must remove the plastic part that covers it up by the floor board. its a long paice that goes from the front to the rear seats.
105311.jpg

here is what you will need. a set of torx sockets and a 10MM socket and a ratchet
105319.jpg

now unbolt the belt at the top of the b-piller. an let it hang down on the floor.
105312.jpg

here are the 3 bolts you need to remove. one of on the floor, and two are on the lower b-piller
105316.jpg

105313.jpg

105315.jpg

then you need to fish the top part of the belt through the hole. then just remove the old seat belt.
105317.jpg

now you need to fish the bottom of the new belt through the hole and bolt it to the floor
105318.jpg

then just install it like you removed it...it will prolly take some messing with it to get the belt to unroll.

heres why i needed a new one....my old belt
105320.jpg

now test it out ;)
105321.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write-up. :thumbsup: I see why you replaced it, that frayed part would make me nervous, too. :D

thanks

it was my first real try at a write up..hope it aint to bad.

96limitedX said:
it was my first real try at a write up..hope it aint to bad.

all your painting my truck green writeups werent real?

they sucked..i dident really do any how to's..i had it all repainted anyway by a shop lol.

Seat Belts

I'll bet that seat belts have a lifetime warranty. You should call ford before you spend any money on it. Seat belts are one of those things where if they fail, no matter how old the car, they could be under some serious liability.

I had to replace the seat belt in my 10 year old honda and it was covered under warranty, even though the car itself was out of warrenty.

Eric

not because of owner neglect. the owners is the one that caused it to get like that. i went to ford. they wanted $165 for a new one. so i just got one for $10. ford said i was outta luck. and i agree its not there problem.

Back