Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

P0133 - Bank 1 - Sensor 1

Old 05-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
hakes
Omaha, NE
04 EB

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
P0133 - Bank 1 - Sensor 1

First post here - glad to have the support! My wifes 96 4x4 XLT threw a code P0133 yesterday. I have erased it and am waiting for it to return. If it does, should I attempt to clean deposits from the o2 sensor or should I just replace it? Is the replacement just an unplug and plug the new sensor in? Where in the engine compartment should I be looking? Thank you in advance!
hakes is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
BradE.
Cincinnati, OH
1997 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Just replace it, cleaning them is a bad idea.

Bank 1 = Side of the engine with Cylinder #1
Sensor 1 = Before the cat.

It's on the exhaust y-pipe coming down from the motor.

BradE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
hakes
Omaha, NE
04 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks BradE.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

is it a v6 or a v8? because that changes where the sensors are and how many you have.....

if its bank 1, thats passenger side, sensor one is pre cat

my mom has a 96 and i jsut changed her b1, s2 last week.... from what i have heard though, you might want to also make sure the wires are not chaffed/shorted or the connector accidnetally unconnected as this happens and its pretty much free to fix, versus a new $70 part......

the wires, harness, and connector on my mom's x looked good, so i replaced the sensor....

Old 05-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Skibug
Pensacola, FL
96 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

And my experience with O2 sensors was that once one of mine through a code and wnet bad, the others threw a code not long after. If you have the money, my advice is to replace all of the O2 sensors.
Skibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
hakes
Omaha, NE
04 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It's a V6 - how many sensors do I have?

Thanks for the feedback - I will inspect to ensure the integrity of the sensor and wires. If it needs to be replaced (I am focusing on just the one due to cost), is it just an unlug old and plug-in new one? I have not dealt with an O2 sensor before.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
bizkit
calvert county

Vehicle Specs

i have a 97 ranger 3.0 and i have a 133 code shouyld i just replace the o2 sensor
bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakes View Post
It's a V6 - how many sensors do I have?

Thanks for the feedback - I will inspect to ensure the integrity of the sensor and wires. If it needs to be replaced (I am focusing on just the one due to cost), is it just an unlug old and plug-in new one? I have not dealt with an O2 sensor before.
Not a bad job, though they can be tough to get out if rusted in badly. Get a replacement that has the plug on it rather than a "universal" that needs to be wired in. Use anti-seize if it's not already on the new sensor. Agree not to bother trying to "clean" them. You have at least 3 sensors, maybe 4. There are pre-cat sensors on both banks (called B1S1 and B2S1); my 5.0 V8 has two more post-cat (B1S2 and B2S2). You might only have one post-cat (B1S2). You can expect more to die, but it might take months - only real advantage to replacing all at the same time is you only have to get dirty once.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page