Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

94 won't start

Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Drywall Guy
Hastings, MI
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
94 won't start

1994 XLT won't start. It will crank and crank but not start. It seems to be getting fuel and spark. I just replaced the plugs and wires last night and still nothing. It started starting hard and idling rough about a week ago but when it warmed up it ran fine. Codes are 114 (intake air temp sensor out of self test range) and 116 (coolant temp sensor out of self test range). I also cleaned the MAF sensor. Would either of these sensors keep it from starting?

Thanks for any help.
Drywall Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

welcome to the site, i dont think either of those would keep it from starting....

you changed the plugs and wires and now it wont start? are you sure its actually getting fuel, have you confirmed it is indeed getting spark? did you hit the firewall with a ratchet or anything by chance? i was working on my 94 once and hit the firewall near the tranny hump.... well long story short, it tripped the vehicles inertia switch (rollover switch, kills the fuel pump)

Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
DanShrader
Port St. Lucie, Fl
91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I don't know about the air temp sensor, but the coolant temp sensor won't let you run right, it will bog the motor and cause it to stall if any gas is given. It's like $16 from AutoZone and is located in the front of the motor a little below throttle body.
DanShrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
MrShorty
Spanish Fork, UT
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would disregard those temperature sensor codes until you get it to start. Those codes are most likely being set because the engine isn't at operating temperature when the test is performed (for the obvious reason that the engine won't run).

When you say it has spark, to me this means that you've actually seen each spark plug fire (using a timing light or other technique).
When you say it is getting fuel, to me this means that you've put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and get 40 psi KOEO.
Are both of these statements true? If not, how have you verified spark and fuel? It seems that most no starts are a result of one of those two items missing.
If those statements are true, then check that the spark plug wires are connected to the correct spark plugs and verify that the fuel injectors are firing.

'98 Chev K1500 Suburban SLT 4x4
MrShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
live2_4x4
Kamloops British Columbia
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Temp Sensor

From my own experience I would replace temp coolant sensor. I had a very similar prob that I was chasing for a long time while ignoring a temp sensor out of range code, turns out when trying to start the engine would read minus 40 and apparently flood the engine with gas trying to start in such cold weather. Two weeks ago I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it has started every time since. Make sure you get a coolant temp sensor not the one for the gauge.
live2_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Vanquish502
Kitchener, Ontario
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT

Vehicle Specs

Replace both sensors or get them both fixed. They both play a big role in how your engine runs.
Vanquish502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page