Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
If you are thinking about dressing up your driveline and don't need the functionality of a aluminum cover with a girdle - then DO NOT get a chrome differential cover (if you live in snow areas where sand/salt is applied to roads). It will eventually be a waste of money because of the sand, dirt, etc that will pit the cover and then allow it to rust. Mine did and now I had to replace it. I ordered this cover from Jeg's!

ClearGearz (a company under TransDapt) has been in business for awhile as a company that has taken the differential cover one step further. Their selling point is that you will be able to watch the fluid level without having to take out a fill plug to see how deep it goes. Also, the cover is made out of polycarbonate (same material as bullet-proof glass) and is very strong. It states on their website that their cover is as strong, if not stronger, than any other cover out there on the market.

Tools/Parts Needed:

Tools
-13mm Socket (shallow works best)
-3/8s-Drive Impact Gun (or a rachet)
-Flat-Head Screwdriver
-Hammer
-Razor Blade

Parts
-8.8" ClearGearz Differential Cover (969-8412)
-1 Tube of Clear Silicone Sealant

Installation:

On the Ford 8.8", there is no drain plug for the rearend, so you will need to open the case by taking the cover loose and allowing the fluid to run out. To do this, take loose all the bolts and remove them, except for the top bolt. Thread that bolt a quarter to half way down then use the screwdriver to pry the cover off the housing. If you can't get the screwdriver uner it, take a hammer and wedge it inbetween gently. Once you have drained most the fluid out, remove the cover completely. Try to clean the housing out as much as possible (you can use brake & parts cleaner if you wish).

Take a razor blade to the housing and clean off any silicone or gasket that may be remaining. This is important; if not cleaned well you may not have a good seal on the housing and will cause a leak.

Clean off the cover, and then place a bead of silicone (not too thick) on the edge of the cover and allow to sit for 2-4 minutes. After that, place the cover on the housing and put one of the bolts, that are included in the kit, on the top hole and one bolt on the bottom hole. Do not tighten down -- only put in a few threads so you can slide the 2-piece trim under the bolt. After the trim piece is in, put the rest of the bolts in loosely. After all the bolts are in, start to tighten from the middle of the outsides up and from the middle of the outsides down. DO NOT tighten the top and bottom bolts first. This will cause the trim piece to go crooked and may cause a sealant problem.

After the bolts are snugged tight, go around and make sure there is a good seal all the way around (you should see some silicone coming out of the sides of the cover). If everything looks good, put in your gear lube. ClearGearz recommends the use of synthetic fluid for a better transparency. The Ford 8.8" takes about 5-1/2 pints or 2-3/4 quarts of fluid. It should be a little under the halfway mark on the cover.

I was impressed with this cover and find it very nice looking and functional. The only flaw I see, is that they should of left the trim piece as one piece. Making it a once piece might of made it harder for installation, but it is hard to line the trim up exactly right. They do make a cover for the Dana 35 (part # 8406), but Jeg's does not carry it.

Contacts:

If you have any question, contact ClearGearz by e-mail at techsupport@tdperformance.com or by telephone at (562) 921-0404 on Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (pacific time).

If you have any questions about the installation, either PM me or leave a post. I will try to answer your question(s) as best as possible.

Pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just noticed that I put a little more silicone than I needed on the top of the cover (pic #2)! Oh well, atleast I know it's sealed! It looks good in the sun! Hope you all enjoy!

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what the front door... doesnt this thread exist in two places?

IZwack said:
what the front door... doesnt this thread exist in two places?

I believe so

It is in Modified Explorations -- which is closed. If people have question or need help, all they can do is PM me and get one opinion. This way, it is open to discussion. Thanks.

-Drew

ahh gotcha

What does it look like after it's been ran? Does the oil drain off the top part semi-fast? Know what I mean?

section525 said:
What does it look like after it's been ran? Does the oil drain off the top part semi-fast? Know what I mean?

Yup - it slides right off. When I stop and park and go look at it - it looks like it hasn't moved at all!

-Drew

I like that a lot, your gonna make me buy even more soon :p

haha sorry UK! How is the progress on yours anyhow?

-Drew

See what you have done - I've gone and ordered it :p

I am still waiting for all the other bits. The 4.56 gears are taking some time to get into summit, everything else is there waiting to be shipped - cant wait :confused: :thumbsup:

Hopefully it all get in soon. So you ordered the clear gearz? Dang -- you might be the only one in the U.K. with one of those. Good deal! It's a pretty easy install.

-Drew

And this is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle dropping from one rock onto the point of another under the the spot that bubbles outward from the diff? Anyone see a problem? IF not, I might get one, otherwise I'm looking at stainless steel.

Buckshot said:
And this is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle dropping from one rock onto the point of another under the the spot that bubbles outward from the diff? Anyone see a problem?

this was kinda one of the problems i was anticipating.. the strength of these covers, among other things, was one of the topics discussed in the older version of this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133522

people asked, but no one answered. Anyone know how it takes the abuse? Jeg's site says good for "daily drivers and show only rigs".....not a glowing endorsement for offroad.....

i thought some1 mentioned something about seeing these covers in SEMA or someting like that.. and people were given a chance to break a cover with a sledge hammer

EDIT: my bad, heres a thread that touches on the toughness of cleargears:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132575

there are more obviously.

There use to be a video on cleargearz.com with them banging on it and it not breaking. I mean, they are strong! But if you are a serious off-roader, you shoulnd't be using one of these anyway. A steel cover with bracing should be what you should have.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Hopefully it all get in soon. So you ordered the clear gearz? Dang -- you might be the only one in the U.K. with one of those. Good deal! It's a pretty easy install.

-Drew

Yep, I ordered the clear gearz from jegs :thumbsup:

I think I will be the only one in the UK with lots of things :D

UK Explorer said:
I think I will be the only one in the UK with lots of things :D

I'm sure of it. Makes everything 100 times better! Again, goood luck on the build! Oh, did you see my post on lifting the 95-01 IFS Explorers? Shows the comparison between Trailmaster and Superlift.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133899

On page two there is the actual comparison with pictures. Hope that informs you some.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Oh, did you see my post on lifting the 95-01 IFS Explorers? Shows the comparison between Trailmaster and Superlift.
-Drew

Sure did, very good - I wil be refering to that :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UK - got any news yet? Have you installed the cover yet - I'm sure others will like to see it.

-Drew

Back