Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Performance Lighting

Notices

Performance Lighting Aftermarket lighting. Driving lights, fog lights, rock lights, HID, halogen. Make your Ford Explorer light up the night!!

Headlight bulb Literally Exploding

Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
lightnin
Wooster, AR
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Headlight bulb Literally Exploding

I have had sets of bulbs burn out and stuff. But this is the first set that I have seen Explode. I bought a set of Nokya headlight bulbs from a local shop here. 5 months after i bought them 1 exploded. Found out they had a 3 month warr. Screw me $35 more dollars for another set. 1 month after I put these in they both explode. Litteraly, blue shards of glass now rest inside my headlamp. I install these with rubber gloves, sure not to touch them. The ones I have bought were Stage 2 bulbs. 100w/120w. Could it be the wattage making them explode? Should I try a lower wattage bulb? I don't see any moisture in the headlight housing. I am stumped and am tired of my blue bulbs blowing up. I hate stock headlight bulbs.
lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Bill Kemp
Elite Moderator Emeritus
Greenville, MI

98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

High watt bulbs dont last long. They create a lot of heat and heat is the enemy of filiments. A harness will help but not much. PIAAs & Silverstars will last a year or so. So thats what I use since changing a bulb is such a PIA.

Clones are people two.
Bill Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
lightnin
Wooster, AR
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I thought be a higher wattage would be a problem. I am going to exchange them for a little bit lower wattage set. I think they offer a 80w/100w maybe they will last a bit longer. Thanks. I wasn't for sure they were blowing from the high wattage or not.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

wipe the bulbs off before installing them, its possible some of someone elses hand oils got on them during packaging....

Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
White97Jimmy
Detroit, MI
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD

Vehicle Specs

If you want "bluer" bulbs, try Eurodezigns (at local shop or eBay for decent price).

They are 55w, I had them in my Jimmy for 3 years. I had one that died after about a year, but they have a lifetime warranty ($5, and you send in your bulbs, and they send you brand new ones). Its a good deal...Buy 2 sets, and when you blow one set, you swap them out, and warranty the old ones.

02 Mustang GT Convertible - Summer Whip
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
lightnin
Wooster, AR
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Do you have a pic of your HID Headlights? Or are they just the blue bulb swap in?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

I have the EuroDesignz -- I am happy with them - especially when the brights are on!

-Drew

Old 05-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
DDEBEXP
Elite Explorer
Duncanville, TX
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I use MTEC 80/100 with an upgrade harness. They didn't look so good until I realized that the plugs were dirty and I replaced them. I haven't had the bulbs long, but look good, bright as hell. If they bulbs you had were higher watt bulbs on the stock harness, that could have been a cause. I burned the harness in a previous car I had, but not the bulbs. I did however have a light just fall apart, but not explode before with the new harness. Made me mad because i had a blue piece just rolling around in my housing. So i think quality of the bulb has a major factor and using the appropriate harness. I can't wait to get HIDs though.
DDEBEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:04 AM   #9
Afboy143
Tampa,FL

1999 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White97Jimmy
If you want "bluer" bulbs, try Eurodezigns (at local shop or eBay for decent price).

They are 55w, I had them in my Jimmy for 3 years. I had one that died after about a year, but they have a lifetime warranty ($5, and you send in your bulbs, and they send you brand new ones). Its a good deal...Buy 2 sets, and when you blow one set, you swap them out, and warranty the old ones.
how blue are they exactly...and how bright? I see them all over ebay

...Mods: Black Magic Electric Fan 150, Diamond Cuts retrofitted with E46 BMW projectors, Full Custom 2.5" Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust , Custom Spectre Intake w/ AMSOil Filter, Henson Performance 93 Octane Street Tune, Ported and Shafted TB, Full Header-Wrapped 2.5" Off-road Y-Pipe, C&L MAF, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Afboy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
White97Jimmy
Detroit, MI
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD

Vehicle Specs

The EuroDesignz are not ricer blue...I would recommend them for the price. I used them on a few different vehicles now, and you can't beat the price or the lifetime warranty. I have a few extra sets, so if I have to send one set back, I have another set to swap in.

Lightnin- As for pics of my HIDs, look a few threads down, there are pics of the HIDs lit up. EuroDesignz are not as blue as my HIDs. But you can't compare a regular bulb to HID bulbs. I am running actual HIDs, not EuroDesignz "HID look-alike" bulbs.

02 Mustang GT Convertible - Summer Whip
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page