Catalytic Converter is Shot...now What? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter is Shot...now What?

130K_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
A mechanic (who I don't trust) diagnosed the noise my 95 Explorer XLT was making as a bad catalytic converter. I got a $700.00 quote to replace it (I believe he was going to replace both of them.)

QUESTION:

Can I order this part somewhere and install it myself?...or am I going to have to shell out 700 bucks?

Any part number or reference would be helpful. I'll make an effort to comply with EPA guidelines by putting the right one in the right way. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch.

Okay first off a bad cat doesnt make noise, it gets clogged and you will lose a ton of power. It will also smell like rotten eggs

You do not have two cats you have a resonator, a pre heater, then a cat.
All these can be replaced with a single unit aftermarket.

Exhaust shop should charge NO MORE then $300 MAX to replace the cat.

What is this noise? If it is metal rattling underneath the truck then it is most likely just the heat shielding that is just barely welded to the cat, very common for them to come loose and make noise. the fix is not a new cat, it is to rip the sucker off, or put a big ass hose clamp around it, you could also have somebody weld it back together.

One of the first things to go on any Explorer I have ever had/seen/worked on is the heat guards on the cat, they rattle like crazy.

Your mechanic is the reason we are here, you are smart for not paying the $700, sounds like a rip off artist to me.

410Fortune, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it's a vibrating metallic sound. I'll get under the thing and try to see if it's the heat shielding rattling.

There's no loss of power, no change in performance, just a loud embarrassing noise (usually when I accellerate).

I just called the Ford parts dept. They said a catalytic converter is $900.00!!!

Thanks for the info.

Ford parts is at the dealership right?
We call those stealerships.

in no way should you pay more then $150 for a replacement cat converter, $150 for labor.

If you dont have a check engine light, then your cat is probably jsut fine.
If it was clogged you would know it because your truck would barely move.

I would find the loose heat shield, take it off and go back to your mechanic friend and shove it in his face. I would also have a mouthfull for any other customers that might be waiting.

I love honest mechanics and shops, they are like family to me, but the problem is there are not many around. Wonder how many poor old ladies this guy has sold $700 cat converters to this week.............

Also let us know how this turns out for sure!
You see this guy is thinking, man this guy has no clue, hebrought me this truck for a rattling heat shield = he doesnt know alot about cars or has not even looked underneath = I bet I could charge him anything I want.

People like this should be put out of business.....

BBB.com :)

10-4, I will let you know what happens. I'm about to crawl under the vehicle now & get my hands dirty. Thanks.

Not Catalytic Converter After All...

I just blew $75.00 on a new muffler....made no difference.

The muffler guy said the catalytic converter was OK and the problem was either with the transfer case or the transmission....

Nobody seems to know for sure.... The heat shield isn't making the racket.

Explorer Sounds Like an Army Diesel Hummer when Idling!

My Explorer is doing a superb imitation of a diesel engine when idling or backing out of my driveway. Sounds fine when driving, though.

What the heck? I've been to 3 different mechanics...nobody has a clue.

Not the muffler
Not the catalytic converter
???

The latest theory is it's the transmission or the transfer case (4x4 V6). How do you check the transfer case fluid (or axle grease, or whatever it is)? It very well could be dry & I wouldn't know. The owner's manual is a joke and I didn't get a chance to round up a shop manual.

...to think I almost lost $700.00 replacing a good catalytic converter today!...instead I only blew $75.00 replacing a muffler that didn't need replacing.

I'm getting really close to replacing the Explorer entirely...mechanic shops are bad enough, now I'm really preparing to dive into the bowels of hell by dealing with even worse scum of the earth....the CAR SALESMEN! :mad:

Help! Any suggestions before I'm forced to deal with these putrid fast-talking, hand shaking, game playing (let me write the price on a scrap of paper and show it to my manager), hairspray wearing losers???? :fire:

i just replaced my catalytic converter. It cost 595.00 on my 99 xlt. I very much trust my mechanic as he has always taken care of my truck and my families vehicles. I also heard that metal rattle noise so it is associated with the cat. However also check you muffler because i also had to have that replaced due to a bad weld on a custom Flowmaster muffler so that could have also had some connection. They replaced both sides.

i should have read all posts, sorry you have already checked those things. But fixing those solved my X's prob

As for your problem....im not sure what it is...but did you look under the truck and check closer to the from...i forgot what was that called but its connected to the 4X4....when theres a leak of some sort....you can see the damp spot where the fluid is leaking. i was told that part would eventually need seals replaced. if not, the truck would eventually soun like it's grinding on something or the sound similar to worn out brake pads not the skealing sound the constant wuring sound.

i just recently changed my cats....the check engine light came and stayed until i did a a check....they where able to tell me the code for cats that needed service and not the sensors.
on my 1994 Xplr was a different story...it did make that rattling noise when i was in drive but when i put it on park...it would go away but sometimes i would hear it. i finally had it checked and the mechanic told me it was signs that the cat was going...the loose heat sheild...he said for the time beeing i can drive without that and when i had the money i can have it serviced. they quote me $500.00 parts and labor...really nice guys huh? so i went to my mechanic, he told me he'll do it for $270...

Change the transfer case fluid. It's more important the the transmission fluid, and is often forgotten about. It takes less than two quarts of Mercon III. Good luck,
Don

If this is a AWD truck it is quite common for the T case to have issues and make noise.

I had a rattling sound coming from under my sport trac whenever it would get above 1000 RPM. I first thought it was either the heat shields or transmission because of the location. I pulled the y-pipe off and started my truck and the noise was gone. When I shake the y-pipe I can hear stuff rattling around in the cats. Just wanted to add this incase someone else has a similar problem and does a search.

if you can readily reproduce the sounds at idle, get a mechanics stetho and go listening for source of your problem.

Cats are $25 from the auto wreckers. I would not pay more than that

Back