Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Explorer - Ranger Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits

Notices

Explorer - Ranger Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits Ford Explorer and Ranger chassis related posts. Get help choosing the right shock absorber and aftermarket suspension for your Explorer or Ranger based vehicle.

KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks

Old 04-14-2000, 05:35 PM   #1
4x4sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumbs up

Stock Explorer shocks suck, they get shot after about 30,000 miles. Bilstein is the best shock out there if you want to keep your explorer at the stock height, but they are way too expensive. KYB are a japanese version of Bilsteins are I think are just as good. I just put them on my 1994 4x4 explorer and the handling improved dramatically, it's sturdy and doesnt bounce around like it did with my stock shocks. If you are thinking of shocks to put on, and not gonna put on KYB do not put on Rancho, they are not gas shocks and are only made for lifted wehicles. KYB Gas-a-just were the only thing that i put on my explorer and felt the big noticable difference. I recommend those for every explorer that is stock height. I got a set of 4 for about 130 dollars with tax. Bilsteins cost way more than that and you only get a tiny fraction of difference, i mean a tiny one, you couldnt tell if you were driving
4x4sport is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-18-2000, 09:31 PM   #2
Hank
Elite Explorer
Cape Coral, FL

'91 EB

Vehicle Specs

4x4sport,

I used to run KYB's in a lowered Mazda pickup and loved the handling. However they were stiff as hell in such a light vehicle. Really noticible in the rear as all the weight was in the front. I'm looking to get rid of the hobby horse ride of the stockers and was looking at the Gabriel VST and Monroes I was staying away from the KYB's as I really like the "luxury" ride of the explorer. Did you end up with a firm comfortable ride or more of a sport handling ride?

Thanks
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2000, 11:08 PM   #3
4x4sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
do not get gabriels or monroes, they are pretty much just like stock shocks, they wont help out the handling at all, they might just smoothen up the ride, but to get sharp turn handling you need KYB. your explorer will lean a lot less on turns and bounce around less. its really noticable too.
like i said explorers are heavy in the back and rear suspension tends to get problems, so what ever you do get gas shocks. and i would recomend KYB gas-a-just for performance and good handling, any other gabriel or monroe are just gonna give u a stock ride. still gonna bounce around and lean a lot
4x4sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 07:52 AM   #4
Tommy2000
Minneapolis, Minnesota
93 Sport, 92 EB

Vehicle Specs

I totally disagree!

I just put Gabriel VST's on my truck, and they are WAY better than stock; they ride and handle great, both on and off road. PLUS the only cost me $20! I think pep boys has free install right now.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order) 31x10.5's
Tommy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 09:28 AM   #5
Hank
Elite Explorer
Cape Coral, FL

'91 EB

Vehicle Specs

Hi guys,

I broke down and bought the Gabriel's. See my comments on the Gabriel VST post.

hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: