FFN's explorer version 2, 19 inches lift, fullsize axles and more | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FFN's explorer version 2, 19 inches lift, fullsize axles and more

as yall know, im lifting my explorer again, well here are a few pics of it still on the lift front axle installed and soon the rear should be in within a few days

this explorer now has a D44, soon to get the 3/4ton hubs and spindles, 12 inch superlift springs, the front crossmember from chucks trucks measures out to 7 inch lift, so thats 19 inches total, the steering is the extreme crossover steering setup from SKY Mfg.

the rear will be getting a 14bolt rear that i purchased from a friend along with the front axle thats under there

the tires that are on there are the bald F'd up 39.5 swampers that came with the deal, but we calculated that 44s will easily clear with room to spare, based on the math that the bald 39.5 measures 36 from floor to top peak, and that a true 44 should measure out to 44, and that the radius of the 395 is 18 since it measures 36s, and the radius of a 44 would be 22, thats a 4 inch difference, and i have 9-10 inches of fender clearance, so i still have a 4-5 inch clearance at the closest point of contact

other pics are the headlight measurement, the top of the rear fender (48-49") and the front having the lift and the bald 39.5s and the rear ranger axle with the 35s on it, the rear is getting 6 inch chevy 56" lift springs and prolly a 4 inch block

once it gets back to me i gotta do the driveshafts, convert the brakelines from metric to chevy 3/16's put on the crossover knuckle and steering arms, and then do shock placement

tireandsuspension.jpg

oldrear.jpg

old395.jpg

headlight.jpg

fullview.jpg

comparison.jpg

bumperclearance.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

44s and a dana 44, have fun with that. :confused:

yeah, at least im less dumb and running 3/4 ton outer hubs and spindles, so the bearings are a little beefier, i just didnt have the $$ for a D60 or rockwell yet, most likely ill just drive this truck on the street and some mud

i dont know yet as far as tires, im using these bald swampers as roll arounds but im still up in the air for tire size due to the size/gearing issue

It's gonna be waaaaayyyy too tall in my opinion, but if it's street and mud then I guess it would be alright. Just don't try any hill climbs. :D I would have gone with a 60 front, but you already said why you couldn't. Good luck with the swap.

just run 38's, i think it looks awesome when you can see more suspention then tire.

Goooodbye drivetrain!

so you are building an over lifted street truck with springs arched so much they wont flex and 44s on half ton axles, wow, have fun with that one

wes

you guys have no right, you have your own truck to worry about.
just because you dont approve doesnt mean he cant do what he wants.
save yourself a post if you are going to talk trash. i've seen WAY too much of it on this site lately...you guys are sad :rolleyes:
man i hate sounding preachy.
good luck FFN, more power to ya despite the neighsayers !

Like the above says dont down what someone does just because you dont like it! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN DONT POST! Also when you say stuff putting down someone else's rig its a huge sign of JEALOUSY!

On another note,
I think it will be pretty sick! Its cool to always see something different. Think you could snap some pics of the cross members? I plan on building one for my rig and would like to see how there built.

FFN - Sorry if it seems like I'm putting down your rig. I'm not...I'd much rather see an Explorer on 44s than some other truck. :D I think the only other Explorers on something bigger than 42s were all POS. So far it looks like yours will actually be built right.

Any plans of a motor swap? You'll definitely need/want the extra power pushing those huge tires. ;)

n3m3s1s said:
you guys have no right, you have your own truck to worry about.
just because you dont approve doesnt mean he cant do what he wants.
save yourself a post if you are going to talk trash. i've seen WAY too much of it on this site lately...you guys are sad :rolleyes:
man i hate sounding preachy.
good luck FFN, more power to ya despite the neighsayers !

I've also seen a huge increase in trash talking lately.

Any your truck is gonna be awsome, keep up the good work!

ya, not to sound rude, but i built this truck for me and not for yall, but anyways thats besides the point

JTX, the crossmember and shackle setup is from Chucks Trucks http://www.chuckstrucks.net , and the tube is a 4x4 steel and with the hangers its 3 inches, so a total of 7 inches , the crossmember is a great one, mine was laser cut but they just switched to waterjet cut, the welds are quality and not some tard welding them

as far as the engine and tranny, right now im gonna use the stock 4.0 and 5spd tranny, but once they die, im gonna go either a full 302 truck setup or full chevy 350 truck setup since im a chevy man at heart

Thanks for the info! That looks sweet, im still stock in front but im gonna go custom stock and do a few things. As for the motor setup i would probably start gathering new parts for a motor now. Even if the 4.0 last a while the power will suck ass! If your like me and like to go fast the 4.0 wont cut it. Also a 302 stroked to a 347 would be kick ass in there!

Ahhhh, don't even act like that last one was you actually driving it! It's on the trailer!!! :D EDIT: Well, now it's gone.

Anyway, these guys aren't downing it because they don't like it (I think :confused: ), they're downing it because of logistical purposes. It just doesn't seem logical to run 44's on a Dana 44. But honestly, I love big trucks, so carry on man.

JESUS that thing is FREAKING HUGE

i couldnt see how big it was in the first pics.

i say 350 chevy man, you need real power to push them wheels :p kiddin

Damn...huge indeed. Wow, you can almost fit in the garage. :p Did you decide on the tire size yet?

What are the plans for t-case...since it's a passenger side drop axle?????

bmxking5 said:
Damn...huge indeed. Wow, you can almost fit in the garage. :p Did you decide on the tire size yet?

What are the plans for t-case...since it's a passenger side drop axle?????

oo good eye for detail

Chevy 350 for sure. You can get pre-made conversion harnesses for 350's to fit anything for pretty cheap.

quick question... if you run leafs up front then you dont need a trac-bar do you? compared to coils.

I don't think you need a trac-bar with leafs...well it's not a must have, like with coils.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

uh, guys, i have a slanted driveway, if i back up the explorer to the garage, my roof extends higher, put it this way, with a tape measure today, the roofline measures out at 92" , as far as tire size, im prolly gonna go 395 swamper, or 20 inch steel rims from USA6x6 and military tires, the Tcase, if/when i do the engine and tranny swap, its gonna be a passenger drop Tcase, or i might just do a dual Tcase setup so i can double gear reduction and the passenger side, prolly like a M37 tcase like the mudtruck use in these parts

Back