Check Engine Light comes and goes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light comes and goes

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Driving along at Highway speeds for an hour or so. I come upon slow traffic and after a few minutes the Check engine light comes on. After getting back up to speed the Check Engine light goes off. Ever happen to anyone.
Check Engine is just Emissions stuff isn't it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the code(s) read and post them here.

Good luck ...........

Tony H said:
Driving along at Highway speeds for an hour or so. I come upon slow traffic and after a few minutes the Check engine light comes on. After getting back up to speed the Check Engine light goes off. Ever happen to anyone.
Check Engine is just Emissions stuff isn't it?

"Just emissions stuff" implies that it isn't important to worry about. I prefer to call it an "engine management" problem. Granted a big part of "engine management" is keeping emissions down, but it involves mixture controls, timing controls, and other things that effect driveability.

Like aldive said, start by getting trouble codes from the computer. See www.troublecodes.net/Ford for instructions. If/When you post codes here, please note which type of code (KOEO, memory, KOER) each is, as well as which portions pass (11).

Try to get them while the engine light is on, or a very short time afterwards. These ECU don't store codes for long once the light goes off.

Had that happen to me earlier this year. Light seemed to come mostly on under hard acceleration, then go off after a bit.

I cleaned the MAF and haven't seen the light since.

I did that about a year ago after reading about it here. It was spottless then but what the heck, it's easy enough.

Thanks

14 year old EX + CEL + Duct tape over light = no more CEL ;)

I've run into this problem with a couple different codes. One concerned the MAF sensor, and one concerned the Camshaft Position Sensor, both were on 93 4.0's.

Covering the light only robs you of precious mileage, power, and drivability. Remember, when that light is on, your Explorer could not care what the motor is doing. the PCM runs off of a LIMP MODE PROGRAM stored in there from the factory. it does make a difference, so remember that. Every minute you run with that light on, it's only hurting you!

I had the same problem with my 94 ford explorer sport. I needed to replace my Airflow censor. When I replaced the sirflow censor the check engine light stopped coming on and off. So you night want to get that checked out because when I first saw the light come on I thought that it was just something that would not mess up my truck but it did.

just wanted to add my two cents... similar thing happened to me on the high at first for a very short time, but that turned into every time I started the car after driving it for a few minutes. Turn out to be the EGR position sensor, only about $30 at auto zone.

The ECU will store the code, even if the light is off.. I was getting an intermittant CEL and when I did the KOEO (key on engine off) test, it passed.. but after it does that test it shows you what is in stored memory.. In my case it was 172... (bank 1 shows lean).. My o2 sensor hadn't been replaced in a while, so I change it.. cleared the code.. and CEL is gone.. and it looks like my mileage is up again (I might hit 18 this tank).

~Mark

the code should be in memory for a long time. :)
Driving with a CEL can hurt the catalytic converter.

When the light comes on and then goes off it is refered to as a driveability issue. It could be many things, from the gas you are running, to the hills you are driving over, etc etc however what it does mean is that a sensor, usually emissions related, went out of range for a moment. The computer code will tell you which sensor(s) is in question.

mine turned out to be a $6 dollar hose
it would come on once in a while at highway speeds
find a good mechanic who does'nt quess on code problems

Mine came on during a trip back from Nevada.. It would only come on after running for a while (over 1 hour) - code indicated a failing o2 sensor.
I cleaned the MAF really well & replaced both o2 sensors - but I wish my mileage was a bit better! Only about 14/15.. BUT I just put a bottle of seafoam into the tank.

Oh, no more CEL after the MAF clean & o2 sensor replacement. :)

You talk a lot about the MAF sensor. Where is the MAF sensor located so I could clean it up and see what happends.

The MAF sensor is the sensor in the air stream right after the air cleaner.. Find the air cleaner, and you will find the sensor.. Be very careful.. The MAF sensor has a filiment (think of a light bulb) that is very brittle.. it can/will break if your not careful. Also, use o2 sensor safe cleaner on it..

~Mark

Check Engine Light won't come on

Hi, there. I'be been having a similar problem with the Check Engine light of my Ford Eplorer '94 Eddie Bauer.

Sometimes (usually during summertime) the Check Engine light won't come on when I turn the key to ON, so the truck cranks but it doesn't start. My solution has been to wait for anything between 30 secs to 30 mins until the Check Engine light suddenly comes on as if nothing had happened, the fuel pump makes a humming noise and I'm ready to go.

Any suggestions? (I replaced the battery and starter a week ago and I'm still having the same problem, almost daily).

Andy

galleguito, your problem sounds like a problem with the EEC relay, EEC fuse, or wiring from the battery to the EEC relay. Beyond that, you'll need a wiring diagram and a multimeter to poke around and see where the computer power supply is failing.

Hi could my 93 EXPLORER be stalling and ilde rough cause of my eec cause that single wire to test is missing someone cut it can that cause my truck to do that the wire might be touching metal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi could my 93 EXPLORER be stalling and ilde rough cause of my eec cause that single wire to test is missing someone cut it can that cause my truck to do that the wire might be touching metal
check the egr system by self diagnose

Back