Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Service Engine Soon Light on...

Old 06-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
rosadod
Northern, VA
'02 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Service Engine Soon Light on...

SES light is on. Went to autozone... the code scanned was P1400. They didn't know what it was. Went online and found out it may be caused by an intermittently functioning Tube-Mounted Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor. Anyone ever have this problem?
rosadod is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

I've seen a few vans that I had aluminum DPFEs and what would happen, the heat would get inside the aluminum and just fry it out. See if yours is aluminum...if it is - change it out to a plastic one.

-Drew

Old 06-27-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
josie
Hebron,CT
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the same code on my '02 and replaced the DPFE sensor and cleared the code. Shortly afterwards I received a letter from Ford stating that there was a design flaw in the DPFE sensor and that the warranty was being extend for 2 years or 20k miles over the original factory warranty. Well Ford ended up replacing 2 more DPFE sensors under the warranty. When the 4th DPFE sensor failed I complained to the service manager and they looked up the date of manufacture of the one that they took out and the new one they were about to put in to make sure it was one that was made after they corrected the "design flaw". The one that failed was made before and the new one was made after the problem was corrected. So far I have not had the problem again. You may want to check this out.
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
melissa_addison
Plano, TX
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Does anyone have a part number for this sensor? I have a 2002 4.0 L Explorer XLT, and the service engine light came on a couple of days ago. My car did not pass the emissions test when I went for inspection today. The P1400 code points to the DPFE sensor, but I can't find a part number in Ford online catalog nor can I find the stinkin thing under the hood. Anybody know where I can locate it?
melissa_addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa_addison
Does anyone have a part number for this sensor? I have a 2002 4.0 L Explorer XLT, and the service engine light came on a couple of days ago. My car did not pass the emissions test when I went for inspection today. The P1400 code points to the DPFE sensor, but I can't find a part number in Ford online catalog nor can I find the stinkin thing under the hood. Anybody know where I can locate it?
Drop an e mail to Torrie at Fast Parts Network ( http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/ ), they are a site sponsor.

Good luck ........

My truck

My Quest for 30

RIP Al Franklin! 1947-2010. Gone but not forgotten! :(
aldive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just had it replaced on ours a week or two ago. Same code and all. Take it to the dealer, I know they're having trouble with these, might replace it for free.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
mikephotos
Queens, NY
'02 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I just replaced my DPFE. Here's a write-up that should help. It was $30 + tax.

http://www.rampslides.com/explorer/dpfe.html

Mike
mikephotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
melissa_addison
Plano, TX
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thanks to everyone! I have all the information I need now to go to the dealership and get this fixed (maybe for free!) Special thanks to mikephotos for the keyless entry tip! I bought this truck brand new and the dealership never gave me the code. By the time I went back around to get it, they said it would cost me $100! So I've been doing without. I now have my code, and it WORKS! Thanks again to all...
Melissa
melissa_addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
mikephotos
Queens, NY
'02 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Melissa,

You're welcome! If they do not do it for free don't let them do it for anything more than $32 bucks (part + tax). It's so simple to do yourself...

I didn't bother fighting with them to fix it for free cause that would have been more trouble than its worth. Leave the car for the day or at the very least a few hours. However, it they're willing to do it for free and right there...go for it! Good luck with getting it fixed, hopefully it'll solve your SES.

Note: If you do it yourself, don't expect the SES light to go off the first time you start it up (unless you reset it with a scanner/reader). It took 3 times of cold starts/cycles for my to go off (two 1/2 days).

Mike
mikephotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Monster02
Ontario
2002 limited

Vehicle Specs

How do you find out where the problem is or this code you guys are talking about when the SES light comes on please?
Monster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Monster02
Ontario
2002 limited

Vehicle Specs

One more thing guys i cleaned my air filter and all and someone put it back in for me i drove it for about 2.5km and parked and realized the mass air flow sensor to not be plugged in and this is when the service engine light came on? opinions?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Monster02
Ontario
2002 limited

Vehicle Specs

can anyone help me out?

Suggest this thread to friends: