• Register Today It's free!

The IAC goes WOOOOOO

Hpnotiq

Reaction score
City, State
teaneck, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Just wanted to inform you guys that have that horid WOOOOOOOOOO sound coming out of ur engine at low rpm and then disappears when u rev it, that it is a bad IAC causing that problem. I was inspired by the hilarious "The IAC goes WOOOOO" movie that is floating around the forums, A new IAC only cost me 55 bux but i never knew wtf was making that stupid noise. Just tryin to inform you guys that do have this problem because it is VERY annoying and even more embarissing when you are at a stop light and everybody is staring at you lol. I also had a problem of my transmition seeming to slip a bit going from 2nd to 3rd gear and it sumhow fixed that also, swwwweeeeeetttt. Thanx for the IAC Video, good job on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

many of us have had that problem...

where is said video ?

sounds like a fog horn when you cover the hole..
but then again the hole isn;t supposed to be blocked right??

oh yeah that is annoying

my dad's 1997 ford aerostar does the same thing. It has the 4.0L OHV. I cleaned the IAC and that didn't help. maybe I should get him a new one. This noise does not effect performance though does it?

George

dont think it does effect performance its just very annoying, it might waste more gas because it is the idle air controler. i dont think cleaning it will help, just get a new one at ur local auto part store, they will have it. I got mine at Autozone

Hpnotiq said:
Just wanted to inform you guys that have that horid WOOOOOOOOOO sound coming out of ur engine at low rpm and then disappears when u rev it, that it is a bad IAC causing that problem. I was inspired by the hilarious "The IAC goes WOOOOO" movie that is floating around the forums, A new IAC only cost me 55 bux but i never knew wtf was making that stupid noise. Just tryin to inform you guys that do have this problem because it is VERY annoying and even more embarissing when you are at a stop light and everybody is staring at you lol. I also had a problem of my transmition seeming to slip a bit going from 2nd to 3rd gear and it sumhow fixed that also, swwwweeeeeetttt. Thanx for the IAC Video, good job on it

Thanks, I made the video two summers ago. Its hosted on my website.

Edit: Holy crap how time flies!

DOGFRIEND!!! Where ya been buddy? We all miss you here!

I'm still around, just don't post as much as I used to.....

I'm not working on the Explorer much these days because I only drive it once or twice a week on average. I use a Toyota truck to commute to work because I get much better mileage (4 cyl, 5 speed). I have only put a couple of thousand miles on in the last year.

The only solution to "moosing" is a new IAC ... I have tried and failed MANY time to "clean" them both on my Explorer, Contour & Cougar but to no avail. Every time I have replaced them, the "moosing" went away until the unit failed again (usually 2+ years). Good luck!

fastcougar said:
The only solution to "moosing" is a new IAC ... I have tried and failed MANY time to "clean" them both on my Explorer, Contour & Cougar but to no avail. Every time I have replaced them, the "moosing" went away until the unit failed again (usually 2+ years). Good luck!

I too have found replacing the IAC is the only real solution.

Good luck ,,,,,,,,

Cleaning the felt pads lasted for about a year, but is much cheaper than replacing the IAC.

I previously replaced my IAC for low idle problems - it took about two years for the new IAC to start humming. As long as I don't have any other problems, I'm probably just going to clean the filter when it starts humming.

Just as a follow up, I have had limited success in cleaning the IAC ... but it only lasted for 2-3 days then started "moosing" again. Cleaning isn't going to help ... it's a mecanical issue, not a soot buildup issue. The spring inside the controls the closing of the plunger weakens over time and is no longer effective.

dogfriend said:
Cleaning the felt pads lasted for about a year, but is much cheaper than replacing the IAC.

I previously replaced my IAC for low idle problems - it took about two years for the new IAC to start humming. As long as I don't have any other problems, I'm probably just going to clean the filter when it starts humming.
You might want to read this post made over 4 years ago: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=209954&postcount=20

Cleaning the filter worked for me. Your mileage may vary. :)

I am so glad I searched this forum, I have been going nuts trying to figure out where that noise was coming from and what was making it. I am getting a new IAC this weekend to correct the problem. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back