Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

'94 Transmission Fluid Leak... Overfill.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
jray95
Arbovale, WV
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'94 Transmission Fluid Leak... Overfill.

Hey everyone. I did a search for this issue and came up with mixed results. I just changed my transmission filter & gasket. I added fluid but I overfilled it. Probably by 1 to 1.5 quarts. Anyhow, after about 50 miles round trip today I noticed a bunch of fluid on the back hatch/glass. Then I looked underneath and saw a bunch under there too. All over the place but mostly on the driver's side... all over the front driveshaft mostly.

The mixed results I've found involve damage to the tranny from overfill. Some threads said "overfilling is VERY bad and you probably blew out the front seal". Other threads said "no worries... that's a myth... it'll overflow out of the vent". So which is which? Am I screwed or did it (hopefully) just overflow out of the vent? It still shifts fine but it was leaking pretty bad.

I did drain out about a quart and drove it around a little bit and haven't seen any new drips yet. Whaddaya think??

Thanks in advance!!
jray95 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vented it.

The pump creates the pressure. A larger reservoir does not increase the pump output. You COULD argue that the extra fluid might impede drainback and increase pressures but I doubt that theory has ever been or will be proven. My take and those of knowledgeable folks I trust is simple...Forget blowing seals. What an overfill does is increase the chance of foaming and aeration... not an ideal thing to have happen but far better than too little fluid. I will repeat what I understand to be the truth, a slight overfill will not hurt anything. Quart and a half?... I'd say you definitely churned and foamed, and I am betting also vented. How does the level look now ?

ps. a blown seal drips through the bellhousing. What you describe is classic vent tube overflow distribution of the fluid.

Last edited by Glacier991; 06-20-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Burns
EF Late Night Crew
Nolesnville, TN

1991 Explorer/2002 F-250

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
ive dont that once and mine just pushed the extra out the vent

Jonathan Burns
Moderator of the Feature Truck Forum
Owner of the "Lime"
Forum Rules and Usage
Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
jray95
Arbovale, WV
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Excellent. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might be alright.

I drained out about a quart yesterday evening and drove another 50 miles round trip today and I don't think there's any new leakage. Hard to say from all the wet spots from yesterday though! Definitely no bigtime dripping like yesterday.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Rhett
Let Them Eat Cake
Cape Girardeau, MO

94 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just clean your paint pretty good...wash it a couple of times, maybe the first time with liquid Dawn dishwashing detergent, followed by regular car wash.

94 Sport 4x4; AMSOIL cone filter; Granitelli MAF; BBK 66mm TB; Magnaflow w/2.5" pipe; Monroe Sensa-Tracs; Apten dual-program chip; Visteon Super-Cool radiator; BFG 30 x 9.50's; Warn manual hubs; Timken bearings w/Spicer internals etc. etc.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page