• Register Today It's free!

Voltage regulator?

falls guy

Reaction score
City, State
St. Catherines, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Finally I'm going to ask a question instead of answering one. Sorry if it upsets the "try the search" dudes on here but in all honesty, out of the 3 hundred posts I've made, about 2 % have been questions.
My volt meter is pulsating above normal range when idling, I'm scared I'm going to damage my computor or something. It seems not as bad when the RPMs are up a bit. My question is, how is a good way to tell if it is my alternator, or voltage regulator?
Peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few things can cause this.. Bad wire connections is pretty common. I've had jumping voltage from bad connection at the battery AND from a bad connection from the alternator to the Starter Solinoid(sp?). The Battery acts as a stiffening cap in the system, but it can only do so much if the voltage is really jumping.

I have also had it from a bad regulator in the alternator. I just replace my alternator when it starts to get bad (if I ever see it get up near 16 I change it right then)...

~Mark

In all likelyhood you need to replace the alternators brushes. I personally replaced the voltage regulator at the same time on my '91 2.3Ltr. The expense was less than $20 for parts if I remember correctly, of course Maniak brings up some salient points and I would check all your primary wiring first.

What are regulators and brushes worth? Can I get them in Canada? That sounds better to me than replacing the alternator. The ones you buy are just rebuilds any way, I might as well do it myself and save money. Thanks for the info.

Autozone (chain auto parts store here in the states) sells the brushes for < $10... the regulator ranged from $40 to $80..

I bought an alternator with lifetime waranty (all new parts) and when it goes bad (bearings, regulator or brushes), I replace the entire unit.. I can do it in 10 minutes in the auto-parts store parking lot..

~Mark

I buy all critical componets through NAPA. I don't know if they have a presence in canada however. I called for prices and brushes are $5.50 a pair and a voltage regulator is $15.00. I can't believe autozone prices are so high. If you consider what the parts are there's less than a dollar in manufacturing costs. As far as replacement, there a few screws and it shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes. The brushes install under the voltage regulator which is easily accesible. You probably don't even need to replace the voltage regulator if money is an issue, just replace the brushes and see if that corrects the problem. If they aren't due for replacement they soon will be. You of course have checked over your primary wiring?

Back