Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I decided to change the throttle body on my 4.0 SOHC Explorer. The idea was conceived earlier this year when I was in Birmingham, AL, doing some dyno work with Doug Studdard ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ) and meet James Henson ( jah81592 ), the owner of the STS Turbo Explorer ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136871&page=1&pp=20 ). He had a larger throttle body on his truck. And that got me thinking.

The throttle body in question is from Ford Racing and made for a 1996-2001 4.6l 2V V8 Mustang.

I ordered the throttle body from Summit Racing ( Dead Link Removed ). The Summit part number is FMS-M-9926-D462 and the price was $198.83 to my door. The Ford number is F6PU-AA.

This Ford Racing Mustang Hi Flow throttle body diameter is 70mm whereas the stock Explorer throttle body diameter is, I think, 65mm.

The first step in replacing the throttle body is to take off the intake cover and then remove the Mac intake tube from the throttle body and MAF. This is followed by disconnecting the TPS ( throttle position sensor ) connector. The accelerator and cruise control cables are then detached. The 4 bolts/screws that attach the throttle body to the intake manifold are removed ( the ¼” air ratchet was very helpful ). The throttle body and gasket are now removed.

The new throttle body is installed by reversing the removal protocol. A new gasket was used in this installation.

The installation took about 15 minutes.

After the installation of the throttle body, the truck was started and the throttle tested; thankfully, all was well. The idle was smooth. A brief road test showed all was well. Could I tell a difference in performance? Probably not. Gas mileage and dyno numbers will tell the tale.

A trip to the dyno as well as a long road trip is scheduled. RWHP and mileage data are forthcoming.

Attachments

• DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 8,984
  • new tb 3.jpg
    new tb 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 9,072

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock ( on right ) and Ford Racing TB ......

Attachments

• DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 13,187

Is there any size difference at all? From quick measurements with pshop, they look within a 1/16" of each other.

edit: nvm.............I can see it now

Attachments

• tb comparison.jpg
    tb comparison.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 8,786

Looking foreward to the Dyno numbers Al, as reported by the Dynojet.
Keep us posted

aldive said:
The idle was smooth. A brief road test showed all was well. Could I tell a difference in performance? Probably not. Gas mileage and dyno numbers will tell the tale.

After driving my truck more this afternoon, I have to re-examine my highlighted comment.

The difference that I feel is that the response to the throttle is indeed quicker; not a huge difference, just noticeable.

I decided to invite my son over to drive my truck. I told him nothing. He commented “what did you do to it this time?” I asked why and he said it felt a quicker when first giving it the gas. His comment in essence parrots mine.

I knew this mod was going to be great, get thee to the Dyno al, we need numbers

so this sucker just bolted right up?

im subscribin for some numbas as well.

Can you please post a photo of the bolt circle.

I'm wondering if 4.0s could use 5.0 TB's, there are 65mm stock.

V8BoatBuilder said:

This is a pic of the bolt pattern ( of the stock TB ). It is identical to the Ford Racing model.

Attachments

• DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 8,797

sweeeeet,
Keep us in the loop Al.
( know that you will, I am just subscribing to this thread :) )

Sounds like a good mod. Good job Aldive!

-Drew

Why not just get a BBK? They're the same price. Or was this for the purpose of experimentation (Which I have a hunch that it was)?

Hello guys.... One day as I was telling al at the dyno in Bham, I was walking through my shop and was looking at an extra 70mm t\b from a 96-04 mustang gt and said damn that looks like mine. So I pulled it off and voila there it was exact bolt spacing and the same throttle position sensor,wow a direct bolt on.The only thing you have to mod if you keep it is the factory "Comb looking gasket" I opened mine up. But it appears as if Al has remove his and used the paper gasket that came with the throttle body itself. If I run across any thing else for a Stang that works on a Explorer I'll let you guys know. I have stang parts running out my ears.

jah81592 said:
One day as I was telling al at the dyno in Bham, I was walking through my shop and was looking at an extra 70mm t\b from a 96-04 mustang gt and said damn that looks like mine. So I pulled it off and voila there it was exact bolt spacing and the same throttle position sensor,wow a direct bolt on.

The only thing you have to mod if you keep it is the factory "Comb looking gasket" I opened mine up. But it appears as if Al has remove his and used the paper gasket that came with the throttle body itself.

Strange things happen at a dyno in Alabama ..... :)

Yes, long ago I removed the comb looking gasjet.

James, keep the ideas comming, I love to steal them ....

j602 said:
Why not just get a BBK? They're the same price. Or was this for the purpose of experimention (Which I have a hunch that it was)?

No real reason except I kinda like Ford parts.

Me too Al, given the same result, I choose Ford parts.
I just bought the new Motorcraft plugs(..22..FMFP) for my 99 SOHC. They were $3.48 at Ford, much better than retail elsewhere. These newer platinums have much more platinum in the center electrode, and are supposed to last longer than double platinums. Regards,

V8BoatBuilder said:

Same thing I was thinking. Nice writeup Al.

Aldive since you put a 4.6 throttle body from a stang on your X. Does the X sound a lot different now or does it still sound the same. And keep up us posted if you do any dyno runs on your X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sams01XplrSprt said:
Aldive since you put a 4.6 throttle body from a stang on your X. Does the X sound a lot different now or does it still sound the same. And keep up us posted if you do any dyno runs on your X.

There is no difference in sound.

Back