Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

2002 4.0 to v8 swap ?

Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
standard
Brick NJ
2002 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2002 4.0 to v8 swap ?

hi i am new to this forum so i hope i posted this in the right spot . I have a 2002 explorer 4.0 xlt i want to put in a 4.6 i was even thinking about seeing if a 5.0 or 5.4 would fit now my question is what do i need to get other then the engine will my trans work with the 4.6 ? and does the 4.6 have to be a explorer or can i use the mustang .

sorry is this is a newb question i did a serach but didnt find what i was looking for. In a nut shell i really need to know what is the best engine to go with and what do i need to swap out along with the new engine thanks for your time

George
standard is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
96limitedX
B

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimabena74
the 4.6 and 5.4 will not fit without major cutting
hahahaha he has a 02..the 4.6 was a option in them..lmao

im sure a 5.4 would fit with alittle work..

i dont know of anyone thats done a V8 swap on a 02-up yet..
96limitedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
91EX4x4
Lebanon,Ohio
'91 EB & '96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I personally would swap a 4.6 in it as they are more fuel efficient than the 5.0's. The 5.0 and the 4.6 use the 4r70w tranny(as far as automatics) for manual trannys with the 4.6 you can use the t-45 and t-56(the t-56 is the 6 speed manual, im not really sure if you could get these to work or not) . In the 5.0 people have done t-5's. Another reason i would do the 4.6 is thats the engine the 2002 v8's came with and you would be able to get wiring, computer, etc. and it would be more "drop in". That year 4.6 came with the P.I. heads and intake and is an improvement over the older 4.6l engines. My brother has always wanted to put a 5.4 in his tbird so you could probably also put a 5.4 in it but it might require more wiring.
edit- Im pretty sure if you use a mustang 4.6 you would have to swap the front accesory drive plate(im not sure if thats the right name for it) and actually my brother is swapping an 02 explorer motor into his mustang and has to use the front accesory drive plate from a tbird for it to work and he shouldnt need the one from the explorer.

Last edited by 91EX4x4; 08-03-2005 at 12:47 AM.
91EX4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96limitedX
hahahaha he has a 02..the 4.6 was a option in them..lmao

im sure a 5.4 would fit with alittle work..

i dont know of anyone thats done a V8 swap on a 02-up yet..
for some reason i swear he was talking about a sport... oh well.....

Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Stic-o
Elite Movie Star
Tujunga, CA

'99 XL 4x4 & '06 XLT 4x2

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
My .02 sell it and buy one with a V8

If it's a sport then you would have to pull a 5.0 out of a '01 or older which means depending on your smog laws, you may not be able to do it. Besides you will only gain 5hp and a loss of Gas Mileage.

If it's a 4-dr, don't waist your time. Too new and you no one has probally done it, because it just dosn't make sence. V8's are plentiful in '02+ 4dr's

See the JP Mobile Movie HERE

Stic-o is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page