• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal flasher

Deg1

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I'm brand new to this forum but I hope I can get some answers here. Does anyone know where the turn signal flasher unit is on a '98 Exp Sport? My turn signals just stopped working. I've replaced #3 and #7 fuse with no change. The only thing left is the flasher unit I think, but I can't seem to find it or any reference to it in the manual (Chilton CD Repair manual).
Also, my idle is erratic and mostly idles too slow (700RPM). Two shops have told me it's a dirty Idle Control Valve but cleaning it seems to have no effect? Is there a way to nudge up the idle? Thanks

I am not certain for the 98, but for my 01 XLT 4 door, the turn signal is controlled by a package unit housed inside the steering column and is referred to as a multi-function lever. In other words, the turn signal level is connected to a assembly housing all the wiring and circuits for all the functions the lever controls. According to many postings, it seems that the wiring/circuits in this assembly are notorious for shorting out/smoking. I know because mind smokes on occassion and I plan to replace too.

Fix is to replace entire multi-function lever unit. Cost for part is about $60. Rockauto.com is one source. Must take off steering column covers to replace plus a few other steps that are completely spelled out in a Ford Factory Shop Manual which you can get on ebay for $5-$10.

Regarding rough idle, if shop said IAC valve is dirty and cleaning didn't help then next step is replacing. Part is about $60 again at rockauto. IAC is easy to replace. Explorer's commonly have IAC valve and EGR valve clogging problems after 50K to 60k miles like many other vehicles. Honda has replaced under a recall free of charge. Never see Ford doing that.

Hope this helps and welcome to the site. It is great for sharing common problems and solutions. Just remember to filter out things that may not seem right for your case. Based on what you said I think my advice is right. Others may have more to add or disagree?

Turn Signal Problem

My left rear turn signal quit working. I bought a new bulb #3156 and removed the taillight lens. I found that the contacts inside the socket were corroded. I could have replaced the socket assembly - but an emery file was used to clean and dress the conacts on the socket and bulb. This solved the problem.

NOW for the cause: The tail light lens had minor cracks and I poured out about 3 cups of water after totally removing the lens! I will replace the lens and clean all the socket contacts - to actually fix the root cause of the problem.

I hope this helps

turn signal problem

after cleaning turn signal socket to remove all traces of crud,it may be a wise decision to not have to repeat that procedure so soon by aqpplying some dielectric grease to socket:D

Back