Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Dual Exhaust

Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
cloud9
North Country
1996 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Smile Dual Exhaust

Is it possible to install a stock looking true twin exhaust system on the 96 Explorer AWD 5.0 truck? Any link/info would be great. What are the advantages to such a conversation? Thanks.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
You mean having two pipes coming out at the stock location? I don't think there's enough room. But it might be possible.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
cloud9
North Country
1996 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Possibily. Thought that there would be a way of running a dual exhaust system and making it appear as stock.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Bill Kemp
Elite Moderator Emeritus
Greenville, MI

98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/sh...cat=500&page=1
They put a Y just after the muffler and the shop bent the pipe. Spare tire is still in orig. place. Just gotta find a shop that will work with you.

Clones are people two.
Bill Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
cloud9
North Country
1996 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Very nicely done Bill. Looks great! Did you retain the stock mufflers? And what chrome exhaust tips did you use? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Bill Kemp
Elite Moderator Emeritus
Greenville, MI

98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I retained the stock muffler. I had a flowmaster 70 on a 96 OHV previously and got sick of the drone. Without the resonator the stock has a good V8 sound.
I just got a couple of stainless rolled tip tips off Ebay. I drilled a hole in the bottom side of the tips to let the moisture drip out so it doesnt discolor the tips.

Clones are people two.
Bill Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
cloud9
North Country
1996 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Sounds like the factory set-up on my 85 5.0 Mustang with the Y pipe. Although the Stang use two mufflers.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
redneckex

Vehicle Specs

97' 4.0 sohc

does anybody think that you could run dual exhaust with the 4.0 SOCH. i am hesitant b/c i know these engines love the backpressure. do you guys think it would run ok and not loose power?
redneckex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
CrazyAlaskan
Wasilla, Alaska
1994 Explorer Limited 4wd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckex View Post
does anybody think that you could run dual exhaust with the 4.0 SOCH. i am hesitant b/c i know these engines love the backpressure. do you guys think it would run ok and not loose power?
From what i have gathered over time from other sites, most v6 engines do not benifit enuph or at all from true duels to be worth the cost of installing one. You would be better off having a single in duel out muffler put in. Now if you were running a v8 I would say go for it.

Bill Kemp, what all was done to your exhaust? I thought the 70 was suppose to be a fairly quite flowmaster? I have a Super 44 with gutted cats and my 95 doesnt have much drone at all, I can hear it in the cab but not very loud at all, not like my buddys 07 eclipse with a FM Super 44. Now that thing, woudl drive me nuts lol.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckex View Post
Holy 4 year old thread resurrection!! Way to search man!

As stated above you're further ahead to stick with a single pipe. A 2.5" is said to be the best for the Explorer. You'll get plenty of sound and flow with that. Putting duals in and keep the spare is a headache. Have the pipe tucked up underneath the rear bumper and you don't have to worry about tips.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
redneckex

Vehicle Specs

true duals

ok that sounds good, ill just stick with single. i really like the sound of flowmaster 44. i have one on my truck, a lot of peolpe complain about the drone but i dont mind it really. i like to hear the engine. thats just me tho
redneckex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Jzop
Red Bank NJ
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

hey. just had a question about dual ins and dual outs. i have a 98 XLT V6 and it has dual ins and a single out. i was looking at the flowmaster 40 series with dual in and dual out but im really not that ... well muffler savy. does it make sense to put in a dual system with duel ins or should i just put a single out 40 series on with a nice looking tip. also was looking to put the exhaust out in front of the right rear tire with a chrome tip cut on a 45 probably. would definitely run less pipe that way and i like the look a lot better. any ideas
Jzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
CVT98
Donia, SC
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

What would ya'll recomend for a single muffler duel out system for a 98 ex
CVT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
cvt98 i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds awesome and i got the 4.0 sohc engine.

i am saving up to get true duals now since i got a job now i will probably be able to get true duals soon. But my flowmasters are 2 1/2 inch piping too.

here r pics of my 01 sport and it has some pics of my flowmasters on it.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

tell me what u think

Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
CVT98
Donia, SC
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Hey sam the exhaust looks nice, how much did you pay for it?
CVT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i got my flowmasters for like 610

Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
shawn87
mcminnville,tn
01 xls 4dr auto 4wd

Vehicle Specs

US

hey guys im new here and still finding my way around i use to
be part of trs forums but yep got an x now ..anyways im wanting to dual it out simply with a 1 in 2 out muffler but i wanna keep my spare underneath in factory location and have 2 pipes havent decided on exactly where yet but leaning more towards angling them out the side with some tips but i know some people and shops holler it can be done and some say no but i talked to one local shop here in town and he said yeah no problem and he;d do it for 120 thats including a muffler(tips extra of my choice) of some sort any pics you guys have would be great and btw mine is the 4.0 4wd spare tire is 235 75 15
shawn87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page