RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

r37ribution said:
So my best bet is to go with replacing my stock front diff with a stock LSD? There is enough room in the front diff to upgrade to 4.56 I hope?

Did the front diff of the Ranger come with a TrueTrac or Torsen type diff in the FX4 that is compatible with the front of our trucks? or were these types of LSDs only used in the rear of the FX4s?

not sure,but you may be in better shape than me with your '96 if your selector is 2WD/4H/4L
with that setup you can put in a powertrax
this is a locker and you won't be able to run your truck in 4x4 mode on anything but real loose stuff {while turning !},it would be 2wd on the road {dry pavement}.....
theres a thread about converting my auto/4H/4L to what you have but that wouldn't work for me {when it snows I need auto mode}
I want an LS like the Torsen ! strong and automatic !!
but if they were gonna build it they would have done it by now ?

I guess that's why the hardcore guy's are going with the SAS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ren.....

Ren1010 said:
I am going to put the RCD kit on my 97 in a week or so, an was wondering if anyone had actually put it on their X. I have seen the Ranger pics of it, but it will obviously look totally different on an Xplorer. And if anyone has are there any areas I should watch for on the install?

are you making any progress on this lift ?
I was sure hoping to hear all about the install by now !!
keep us all informed if at all possible ?
{forget that, keep us all informed no matter what :p }
!!! :D

William Schumacher said:
are you making any progress on this lift ?
I was sure hoping to hear all about the install by now !!
keep us all informed if at all possible ?
{forget that, keep us all informed no matter what :p }
!!! :D
with pictures too, it just isnt a thread without pics

yeah, tryin to get everything lined up is a pain, but it wont be long.I will be sure to write up the install and post plenty of pics.

for that front you can use a powertrax unit or the aussielocker unit (yes it is real now).

Cool project.. I was wondering how long before someone did the RCD kit.

William Schumacher said:
not sure,but you may be in better shape than me with your '96 if your selector is 2WD/4H/4L
with that setup you can put in a powertrax
this is a locker and you won't be able to run your truck in 4x4 mode on anything but real loose stuff {while turning !},it would be 2wd on the road {dry pavement}.....
theres a thread about converting my auto/4H/4L to what you have but that's not what I wanted at all !! {when it snows I need 4x4 mode}
I want an LS like the Torsen ! strong and automatic !!
but if they were gonna build it they would have done it by now ?

I guess that's why the hardcore guy's are going with the SAS.

torsen did make a few front l/s only about 10 and one is in their co truck and another is in a guy on ORR's truck

Red........that's right ....

I remember telling the guy on the phone
"Joking of course"
that I was gonna head upstate one day and grab it :D

they were in upstate NY ,not too far from me from what I remember ?....he said he had a few joke threats just like it .

and that's what really set me off.
cause I was {still am}ticked at the fact that they have several in those test trucks and in that off-road rally truck
it's made,works really well....and they won't mass market it due to not having a big enough market for them .
:mad: :mad: :mad:

#$@^

Pictures! yay!

Pics are kinda large. It's a pretty dope camera, prolly should have resized...

There not the best pictures cuz it was cold outside but I finally got you guys some.
Scroll down to the bottom for pics of my new Detroit TrueTrac, 4.56 gears, and rebuild kit I just bought last Friday - $713 in the hole phew! I still have to buy the gears for the front and the rebuild kit (Friday, God paychecks are great).

I'm kind of uh...how should I say this...using one of my junker X's to temporarily store the lift kit. LOL!

As you can see, I have been parting her out. I was rebuilding another X with the front end and needed the rear bumper.

Just ignore the fuel neck and fuel lines for the charcoal canister, thats a whole nother story I need to create a thread for. It seems rust accumulates around where the filler neck is clamped onto the rubber hose leading to the gas tank and actually puts holes in the filler neck, throwing evap codes and spilling gas when your driving up hills on a full tank - not good. Especially when the person who was driving behind you tells you whats going on and you got big 'For Sale' signs in the windows.

Here is are the shock mount reinforcements redranger4.0 sent me:

And here are the rear end parts...

Last but not least...the TrueTrac

Kudos to whoever it was with the tip of www.imageshack.us earlier in this thread.

I'll try to start moving along here guys, thanks for being patient. If I made another $10/hour I'd be done with this already!

r37ribution said:
Kudos to whoever it was with the tip of www.imageshack.us earlier in this thread.
you're welcome :p

glad to see your parts collection coming together!

this is going to turn out awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

jasonb said:
for that front you can use a powertrax unit or the aussielocker unit (yes it is real now).

Cool project.. I was wondering how long before someone did the RCD kit.
Does anyone know if the Aussie locker works just like the PowerTrax? or is there something special about the PowerTrax locker? The Aussie is lookin pretty sexy to me especially since it's available and it's only $229. I believe PowerTrax went for around $400+.

I'm kinda confused about this because in other threads which I have asked about a front locker, people have said there is absolutly NO way I would want a locker up front, so whos right?

Many of us 2nd gens have or had a locker up front. It's fine as long as you bypass the auto4wd. I think yours has the 2wd selection right? Not sure how it would be in the snow up in your area. That's not a concern for me down here.

Aussie and Ptrax are similar. Ptrax had a NoSlip ($350 and up) and a LockRight ($200 and up). Both did the same thing, the NoSLip being the smoother, quieter of the two.

I spoke to someone at ausie lockers today,it seems that both them and Torsen are both up in Rochester NY.

he said they are about to roll out a new C-clip design or something for the explorer ?

also said they have a test explorer that they use and EVERY fall they take out the front locker cause of the aggressive style that a locker drives .
He said it's not taken out for snow but for icy roads,and they knew about the brown wire mod :D he started to mention it but then asked where I live.....and said forget it,try and get a L/S

if your going to get a lunchbox locker get an aussie everyone who has one has had nothing but good things to say and they all said its better then the rest, thats why i bought mine, so well see how it works out

jasonb said:
...I think yours has the 2wd selection right?...
Yeah, I have the 2WD, 4x4 Auto, and 4x4 Low switch.

William Schumacher said:
...he said they are about to roll out a new C-clip design or something for the explorer ?...
I've read something about the C-clip in the front diff. I can't remember much about what the issue was, maybe someone else can chime in.

William Schumacher said:
...also said they have a test explorer that they use and EVERY fall they take out the front locker cause of the aggressive style that a locker drives.
He said it's not taken out for snow but for icy roads,and they knew about the brown wire mod...
I take it they said ice was an issue since it would not be good if the rear tires were slipping on ice and the front were turned with good traction? After first reading that they remove it every fall my first thought was thats like the exact opposite of what I was thinking I would do. Then I realized, they must be using this X mostly off road, as the 4x4 Auto would hardly kick in the front diff at all during the summer.

I'm rather torn in my thoughts as to what I should do. I don't want an open diff up front so I can take her off roading a little easier, but I do want the 4x4 Auto feature for the snow. I guess my only solution would be to remove the locker every winter as they are. It really sucks Detroit or Torsen don't make some sort of gear driven LSD for the front of our Xs.

redranger4.0 said:
if your going to get a lunchbox locker get an aussie everyone who has one has had nothing but good things to say and they all said its better then the rest, thats why i bought mine, so well see how it works out
Yeah based on product availability and price I would probably go with Aussie if I decide on a locker. I have heard praises about both products as far as quality goes.
FROADER said:
The way mine is set up I have stock length shocks and it moves just fine.

12913right_springperch.jpg
This was posted on page 11 of Boomin's getting a sex change. Does anyone know where I can get a set of these Superlift bolt on SOA plates? They look like they would line the rear end up the easiest. Well, that and the fact that I don't know how to weld. :rolleyes: Which is also gonna bring up a problem when I go to install the front shock mount reinforcements...

well ??????

how's it going with the install !!

this thread is starting to get burried
hope you havent had any problems with this !!
keep us informed

whoa man, as i was about to post a thread about this RCD kit, i stumbled upon this one. i really wanna see how it's final setup looks like and handles. really looking foward to seen this shiz. haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump .....

Back