Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Lifters making ticking noise

Old 09-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
phasmid123
seattle
91 EB

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US Lifters making ticking noise

Hi All,
I have a 91 EB that makes ticking noise when engine's turned on. A friend told me it's probably the lifters making noise from dirty engine and flushing the engine with detergent should get rid of the noise. Is this true? Also, is it just an annoyance or I should seriously consider replacing the lifters? Much obliged!
phasmid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your Explorer is running fine otherwise, it is just an annoyance. I'd love to tell you adding some engine flush would likely help, but odds are it might do more harm than good and won;t likely help. Short of replacing the hydraulic lifters the best advice is live with it. If you are really worried you might check your oil pressure with a gauge. (The one in the dash is a joke). Low oil pressure can cause it too.... meaning new pump. But it's likely just system wear. Not harmful.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
midgetwith9arms
Anderson, SC!!
'91 Sport and '92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

if you have alot of miles on it then its saying "i need to be overhauled", bc my old 92 sittin at the house does it and it has like 190k miles on it.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try a can of seafoam in the crankcase before your next oil change. Follow directions on bottle.
Sometimes it will cure the sticking lifters/poor oiling.

Also check the torque on the upper intake manifold, if it is loose you have a vacuum leak. 91-94 are notorious for this.

Search for both of these on this forum for more info

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
trucku
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.

2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I had some ticking noise last year. It was not the valves. I was using lucas oil stabilizer and had too much viscosity for engine (10W40). I lived with it till this summer. I went to right viscosity 5W30 mobil1 synthetic and no additives. The noise went away after some driving..about a month or so.
http://www.jonko.com/forum/diagnosis...engine_tap.htm

2002 XLS 4.0 SOHC 4x4. Frantz Bypass filter, Mobil 1 5W30.Perma-cool dual remote (2 full flow PureOne PL30001). Perma-cool remote transmission filter (Pure One PL30001). Scanguage II, Sunpro Oil Pressure Guage
Gen 4 mirrors

"The More Complex The Mind, The Greater The Need For The Simplicity Of Play"

Last edited by trucku; 09-12-2005 at 01:36 AM.
trucku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
MazdaGreg
Frederick, Co
93 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

I used to have ticking lifter noise as well. If you change the oil more frequently, sometimes you can cure that. I'm talking once every 1000 miles or so. Use a lighter weight oil also, like a 10:30 or 5:30. I don't know if i'd go with the 5:20 because that could be a bit too thin for 4.0l
MazdaGreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page