HappyGilmore's newly lifted X | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HappyGilmore's newly lifted X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

489039_55_full.jpg

he forgot the / in the last img tag like this [/img]

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ohh man the second i saw that frist pic i knew what you did!!! let me tell ya, i would hate to be your truck trent, i guess ocotillos a no go this weekend too,

and for what happened, he probably bottomed out extremely hard, broke the shock hoop and engine cage

and it doesnt look that that hoop where it connects to the frame was plated. if it was that would have distributed some of the force and may have saved it. i dont know. thats what happens when u huck like a nut. stock rear shocks too :thumbdwn:

yeah the shocks bottomed out and sent the hoops thru the hood.

true story: i was going off this little leap shaped like this: /******\ but less steep on each side. it was maybe a 5 foot high hill. i hit it a couple times, catch 3 feet of air and would come down nicely on the back side. well the last time i hit it going a little too fast and totally cleared the back side and proably fell about 8 feet (3 feet of air, 5 ft high jump) in to the flats give or take a foot. no landing ramp. landed completely flat and stared in horror as the hood rested 8 inches above the fenders. after the shock wore off. i got back into it and drove it home no problem from El Mirage about an hour and a half away.

the cage wasnt built that good anyway. the guy who works for Newline Products that built my **** came by to look at it today and said he is going to build me an new one that is going to be plated and gusseted to high hell. for a price obviously...

dave, no desert this weekend, im bummed.

no action shots, my freind was recording it but the camera died right when he hit the record button to record that jump...i was pissed....didnt even get it on film.

well you could post the video of the other jumps?

he didnt record the first ones.....he wanted to be in the car for a jump before he recorded so i jumped it a couple times then he got out to record. then the camera died....just my luck...

just cant keep that thing in one piece can you, lol. Still a good machine though ;)

how much is the guy from new line going to charge you, he should fix it for free since it failed to hold up, everything i have broken that i cant fix has been taken care of by my buddy at the shop i went toat no cost. also, a friend of mine destroyed a hoop that was built by perry mcneil and perry was so embarrassed that it happened that he took care of the costs too, i understand that he shouldnt pay for the hood but at least the hoop and the engine cage. if he didnt build it properly in the first place it shouldnt be your fault...anyway just my 2 cents

thats how i feel as well. Most of the shops around here will back up their custom work in that sense as well. (Not for overly abused parts, but you get the drift)

BigDave!!! said:
how much is the guy from new line going to charge you, he should fix it for free since it failed to hold up, everything i have broken that i cant fix has been taken care of by my buddy at the shop i went toat no cost. also, a friend of mine destroyed a hoop that was built by perry mcneil and perry was so embarrassed that it happened that he took care of the costs too, i understand that he shouldnt pay for the hood but at least the hoop and the engine cage. if he didnt build it properly in the first place it shouldnt be your fault...anyway just my 2 cents

the cage shouldn't have broken like that if he had proper bumpstops, like he said he needs some. toss some airbumps on for that kind of smashin and you should be good to go buddy ;)

yeah i kind of feel that way too. there is no way that thing is salvagable and it did break at his welds. i stood on the cross member with the suspension drooped and got a MASSIVE hammer and tried to beat it back down. no dice. its kind of a 50/50 call though. if i had it bumps it probably wouldnt have broken, the energy would have been absorbed in the bumps and frame. but then again his welds did break. he even told me that the cage should have been built differently, and that he has learned a lot from working at Newline since he built my cage. but thats how it goes when u deal with a backyard builder. i got no guarentee or no company to back up the work.

he said hes been on this forum before maybe he will read this thread. how do u think i should go about this with him about the whole backing up his work thing? hes probably gonna say "dude u cant just launch a half built rig in the air and expect my **** to hold up." which is kind of true since i dont have bumps. any advice appreciated.

well it is 50-50 like you said, partly it was your fault for going beyond the vehicles suspension limits but then again that is why you paid money in the first place for the hoop/cage. I think since he is just a backyard guy you need to figure out a deal with him and maybe work out just paying for the metal and materials and not have to start all over again at your expense.

if i were the one who built it i would think it is reasonable to have the customer buy the materials and build a new one on my own time for just straight cost

also, on kinda the same thing, i do a lot of repairs on surfboards when people ding them. i dont advertise or anything so it really is just a backyard type deal. if anything breaks back open that i fix i do it again for free just because they are paying for my work and they expect it to hold up. i know its pretty different since the price of metal is quite a bit more than the price of fiberglass and resin and you spend quite a bit more time on metal fabrication but i just trying to point out a principle

yes dave you do make a good point, maybe i will try to work out some sort of "ill meet you halfway" deal since we both kinda screwed up. btw he wants to charge me 700 bucks for a cage that is pretty much like the 1500 dollar Newline cage (yeah conflict of interest i know, but thats his deal). he said that for the one that i have now he usually charges 600 (thats what he charged me in the first place). so basically i can pay 600 bucks to be back where i started or pay 700 to have something that he claims (not guarenteed) to be indestructable. he said it will be chromolly and fully TIG welded. but i need to work out a deal with him.

Back