Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Radio facia removal

Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
jnsnwt
Odessa, Texas
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Radio facia removal

On our '02 Explorer XLS how does the faceplate that surronds the radio and climate controlls come off ? I tried gently prying on it but it did not want to come off so I quit before screwing something up. Are there hidden screws or is it held in place by those squeeze together plastic darts that just press into the metal dash holes ?

I want to upgrade the factory radio to an all-in-one unit but before I go shopping on Ebay I need to know how mine is mounted.

jnsnwt@hotmail.com
jnsnwt is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
CaptainObvious
Central, IL
04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Crap... I just did this with a buddy and I let him handle the radio while I worked on the strobes. The Gray piece?

I was thinking it just popped off. The radio removal needs a special tool I thought?

Old 10-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
jnsnwt
Odessa, Texas
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
NO, not the gray oblong part with the gorilla nipple sticking out of it. I want to remove the radio from the dash.

jnsnwt@hotmail.com
jnsnwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
NaplesBill
Elite Explorer
Naples, FL

'03 Explorer XLT NBX

Vehicle Specs

You need a bent tip pick tool. You have to get the tip of the pick behind the silver bezel in that pic and pull out. The whole thing is held on with compression clips. Just work your way around the outside.

no roof racks, 20" Cobra Rs with 275/45/20 rubber, Eclipse AVN2454, JL 1000/1 and 300/4, MB Quart PSD 216 6.5" components in front, JL Audio XR650CSi 6.5" Coaxials in rear, 2 JL 12W7 12" Subs, GF 1.6" drop, Clear corners, JBA Headers, JBA 3" Exhaust and SCT XCalibrator'd PCM
NaplesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
grumpy
Palmyra Tn
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I just used a screwdriver to pry mine out enough so I could get hold of it with my fingers and then popped it right out.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
stewaiw
jonesboro ga.

Vehicle Specs

removal of face plate

I am trying to remove the face plate on my 2006 ford explorer radio help me....
stewaiw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page