Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Aerostar Tech Forum > Aerostar Forum

Notices

Aerostar Forum The Ford Aerostar shares a lot of common parts with the Ford Explorer. Besides that a lot of our members own an Aerostar and an Explorer.

Automatic Transmission Cross- Reference Guide.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Peter Westling
Rosersberg, Sweden

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Automatic Transmission Cross- Reference Guide.

On my way on the information highway I stumbled across this:

http://www.drivetrain.com/autotranscrossref.html#FORD

Aerostar 1986-1995 A4LD
Bronco II 1985-1991 A4LD
Explorer 1991-1994 A4LD
Granada 3/1985 - Up A4LD
Mustang 1987-1993 A4LD
Ranger 1985-1994 A4LD
Thunderbird 1987-1988 A4LD

What is noticable is that if the A4LD is a little bit too weak for the Explorer, how does it work on the BroncoII then..?

The question is... can I just get a tranny from a granada and put in my explorer? Is it a perfect match or is there differences between models?

Regards

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as "basic guts" goes, each model year's A4LD was the same regardless of vehicle to the best of my knowledge (possible exception might be single versus double wrap band). Running changes were made improving various aspects of the internals throughout the years, so laters ones were better than earlier ones. Valve Bodies are a different story. Pre about 91, the trannies were single solenoid. Starting in 91 (I think, not entirely sure this is the right date) they went to 2 solenoid. So you would need the right era (1 solenoid or 2) for the computer control to work. There were some valve body calibrations that differed between various applications, but I would not rank those as "mission critical" and would suggest a shift kit and VB rebuild in any event. Lastly, I am not sure that there may not have been different bellhousings depending on the application (2.8, 3.0, 4.0), but I bet someone on this board could comment on that.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Peter Westling
Rosersberg, Sweden

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Glacier. You know it can be unhealthy, nearly on edge of sanity to actually know so much about transmissions. I am glad youre out there.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
lol. yer right. I'll soon be doing a photo thread on the Transfer case rebuild. Probably do it on the Ford ranger forum (Rangerstation)..... but anyway I'll get my mind out of the transmission gutter...

Thanks for the kind words!
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
Peter Westling
Rosersberg, Sweden

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Great, I will looking forward to that. Please keep us updated if you post it to the rangerforum.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
asavage
Duvall, Wash.
1997 Ford Aerostar E4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier991 View Post
Pre about 91, the trannies were single solenoid. Starting in 91 (I think, not entirely sure this is the right date) they went to 2 solenoid. So you would need the right era (1 solenoid or 2) for the computer control to work.
'86-88 Aero A4LDs have a single solenoid, for OD Inhibit.
'89-until the 4R44e/4R55e changeover, they have two solenoids, adding one for computer control of the TCC lockup.

I've had both.

1993 XL, extended, 3.0l, 204k (sold to a friend)
1989 XLT shorty, 3.0l, 232k miles (sold)
asavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page