Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

Old 10-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

I have a 00 4.0 OHV. I am removing the upper intake to get to the lower intake bolts (to either tighten them down or replace the gasket depending on what I see when I get there).

Anyway, It seemed easy enough, till I got to the EGR tube, which is attached to the intake and looks like its welded into the exhaust system. I removed the bolts attaching the EGR valve, but the tube is welded onto a bracked that is somehow hooked onto the exhaust manifold (or the block). I found one nut and removed it (had a bracket for the oil dip stick), but that didn't loosen it.

All the haynes manual says is 'On later model 4.0L pushrod engines, it will be necessary to remove the EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold and the EGR valve.'

Am I missing something obvious here? I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

-Josh
joshfig is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
More details

Just some more details, as I have been searching the board.

I am talking about the tube on the drivers side (00 OHV) that goes from the EGR valve up into the upper intake. I have read about a 27mm bolt. I think that is the bolt that holds the egr valve onto the tube that ties it into the exhaust manifold. The tube I'm struggeling with is different (and now unhooked from the EGR valve). It is the tube that rises up into the intake.

I'll keep looking also, but if anyone has any ideas please chime in.

The thing that seems strange to me is the loose lower intake is such a common problem I would think tons of folks would have run into the same thing getting to it. I guess the tube is not the same in earlier OHV's, SOCH's and V'8's.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Can I just pull tube out of the upper intake? Is it 'bolted' in there some how, or just held in with a seal? I would think I could just pull it out, but haynes doesn't say anything about it.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
More details, this seems way too confusing. There is an EGR tube that bolts into the EGR valve with a 27mm nut. This is not the tube I'm having issues with.

There is a big metal tube that comes out of the back of the egr valve and rises up to the upper intake. It's about 1/2'' in dia. It is runs right behind the a/c compresser.

I talked to the local ford dealer and he didn't even have it on his diagram. It sounds like this is only on later OHV's.

The thing i am really struggeling with is whether I can simply give a good tug on the upper intake and yank that tube out. I don't see any bolts in the top. WHere the metal goes into the plastic, it has to slide out.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the instructions from the 97 shop manual. I don't know how different your setup is, but maybe this will help.
Attached Images

dogfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

more
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Dogfriend,
THanks for the post. Great detail! Item 21 (or the photo next to it may be what I'm looking at. On mine (from my research I think they changed in 00), a tube goes from the back of the EGR up into the intake. The bolt it says to remove in step 21 holds the oil dipstick in place. I took that out, but it didn't loosen the bracket at all that the TUBE is attached to (the tube is welded to the bracket).

Still trying.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
joshfig
Smyrna, GA
00 XLS 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Got It

I got this figured out. Anyone with a 2000 OHV, I hope this helps in the future.

This was to remove the upper intake. On the 2000, there is a exhaust tube that rises from the EGR to the upper intake (pictured in dogfriends post above). In order to remove the intake, after all the other vacuum tubes and stuff are removed, do the following:
1) Remove the two bolts that hold the EGR valve onto the bracket
2) On the back side of the bracket, remove the nut (1/2''). This simply holds a bracket that supports the Oil Dip Stick
3) Either remove the dipstick or bend the bracket up (I found bending the dipstick bracket to be much easier)
4) This will expose another 1/2'' nut. Remove it, this will free up the exhaust tube (with bracket attached). At that point, you can remove the upper intake.

Challenges:
I did have a few things that I didn't get by. I got the upper intake off enough to get to the bolts on the lower intake. I could not get the upper intake completely removed as the bracket from the EGR would not fit thru the AC tubes. If I needed to get the lower intake off as well (to replace the gasket), I would not have been able to get to it without removing the AC condenser.

Also, in order to remove the upper intake, you need to remove the wire harness from the computer. It is attached to the upper intake with a plactic rivit in the back near the firewall.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
96XLTRanger
Connecticut
96 4x4 OHV 4.0 XLT Ranger

Vehicle Specs

This should be stickied! Thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
L4CX
East Lansing, MI
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I'm so Glad I saw this. I tried the INtake Gasket Replacment and Ran into the same thing you did. I've been thinking about it for about a week now. I've actually been on the hunt to try and figure out how to remove the Dipstick. Of course it's freazzing right now So I can't stay out too long. My hand go knumb.

Lifted 4 Christ Truck Club
Proof I have To much to do Already
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
hunterdan
Fairless Hills, Pa
2010 Chevy Silverado

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The dipstick is confusing, I think I ended up bending the bracket far enough up that it would slide over the stud so I could get another socket on there to get it off.

Dan

Gone: 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, lifted with all the cool stuff
hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
ThePhoenix
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
mine was totally different...I didnt remove the bolts...I just slid the dipstick thingy off the intake...up and to teh left
Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Jayhawk1
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quite out of date, but where would I find that gasket that seals between the upper intake manifold and the EGR system (the one being taken off in this thread).
Jayhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
kel
panama city fl
2000 explorer 4.0 ohv

Vehicle Specs

That is what I am talkin bout! I have been fightin this egr tube till 2 in the morn. Came inside and read this and got er did. Preciate
kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
tf43
American Samoa
2000 XLS X series VIN

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Egr

This was exactly what I needed before I could get the upper intake off.
Silly EGR extra hidden bolt...the EGR was going to send me in for an EKG
Like the post on 1/14/11...out of date, but sure glad this post was still here for us.

Does any one know where I can find a replacement data link connector on-line? Besides junk yards, dealers or such? Rock Auto is where I normally buy stuff right now. Short end of it all, my car went thur the 9/29/09 Tsunami that hit American Samoa, and my data link is difficult to pulls codes from.
Connections are really bad.
tf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
kel
panama city fl
2000 explorer 4.0 ohv

Vehicle Specs

parts train

I have been looking through parts train and they have great deals.
kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
norm209326
Westchester, NY

'99 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
great thread. i was fighting with the egr for the last few hours. nowwww i know how to remove it
norm209326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
garmstrong2007
Newman Lake, WA
98 XL, 03 XLT

Vehicle Specs

My son and I are doing the same thing right now on a 98 4.0 V-6. This thread really helped. After unbolting the egr tube, etc it got stuck on the AC lines. Then lo and behold the tube literrally fell out of the plenum. We got the wrong gaskets (seals) at O'Rielley Auto Parts. Found the right gaskets at NAPA. A set with the seals and a gasket (I assume for the fuel rail) FELPRO PN MS90732
garmstrong2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I went thru this back in September because I needed to replace the upper intake manifold gaskets to get rid of a P0171 code (System too lean).

One tip based on my experience: Make sure to use a second wrench on the lower tube fitting to keep the fitting in the exhaust manifold from rotating and twisting the EGR tube. I thought there would be no way that fitting would move after being in the exhaust manifold for 14 years, but I was wrong and ended up twisting the tube while taking it apart. Luckily, I found another one at Pick and Pull because it is a special order item from the dealer and costs about $55.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
yzrnxkn
Vestavia Hills, ALABAMA!
97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Just to add one more item.
I'm doing this now on my 97 4.0 OHV and the second nut under the one that holds the dipstick bracket, is a 13mm. Very little room for wrenches to fit and a regular 13mm socket will not reach all the way down the bolt. You will need a deep well socket for it to fit.

You can also unbolt the a/c compressor and move it around without disconnecting the lines. Just be careful not to pinch the line going to the front end of the vehicle.
yzrnxkn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page