Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

Could it be the torque converter?

Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
usafape
Naugatuck,CT
'02 and '93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Could it be the torque converter?

Hi all,

Last month my '93 Explorer XLT transmission died on me. It was running low on oil before and it is not running now. I filled it up and still not moving. It is making a "crank" noise every time the engine makes a revolution. I think it is coming from the torque converter housing. Could that be the problem? Is there anything else I can do to find out what the problem is?

Thanks all.
usafape is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
1IronMike
Sacramento, California
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

You might remove the inspection cover and check that all of the bolts that connect the converter to the flex plate are in place. I have seen them back out a couple of times causing a grinding noise like you have never herd before.
1IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
usafape
Naugatuck,CT
'02 and '93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the reply 1IronMike,

How hard is to change the torque converter? Is that something I will have to take to a trans shop, or a guy with some mechanical experience can do it?

tkx,

usafape
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
1IronMike
Sacramento, California
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

That's a pretty hard question as I do not know your mechanical abilities or tools. I have not preformed this proceedure on a 4X4 but it will require the minimun of a floor jack, jack stands, assorted blocks to support the motor, the removal of the transmission, drive lines. I do not know if the transfer case will have to be removed but as you can tell from the list so far, it is very involved and can be done at home. It might be helpful to have someone close at hand to lend a hand and support from time to time. Have you tried a search on this topic? Maybe someone has worked up the proceedure and taken some pictures. Were the bolts loose? Does your truck move at all? When I blew up a tork converter once, that was the total loss of all motion, forward and backward. Another time I lost the pump in the transmission and lost just forward, had to drive home in reverse, luckly it was just a mile or so. Good luck and keep us posted.
1IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
from my experience (or lack there of), idealy the transfer case doesnt need to be removed from the transmission. however, because ull probably be wrestling with the transmission which is heavy enough by itself, it makes it easier if the transfer case isnt also attached to the transmission to lighten the load a bit. when u first remove the transfer case from the transmission, a bit of transmission fluid will probably come out from the transmission's tailshaft housing cauz some of the transmission fluid actually spills over into the this housing - so just be ready with a pan or something and let it drain out (it takes like 10-15 mins) before you completely slide the transfer case from the transmission.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
usafape
Naugatuck,CT
'02 and '93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks IZwack. Is there any trick I should know when I put everything back together? Do I need any special tool? torque specification?

Thanks,

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page