• Register Today It's free!

How to remove door panel?

barrysvt

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
How do I remove a door panel? I am replacing the passenger side mirror. I need to remove the interior trim panel to get to the mounting bolts for the mirror. (2002 Limited)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are 3-4 screws that need to be removed. they require a hex-driver to take them off. heres the directions:

1) remove two screws from bottom of panel near bottom of door.
2) take a small flat-head screw driver and pop off the little piece that surrounds the door handle.
3) remove piece where buttons for window control are. just slide your finger in between that piece and the panel and then pull towards you. disconnect wires from bottom of that piece.
4) there is another screw that needs to be removed. it is above the door handle area.
5) pull up on the entire panel and it should pop right off.

let me know if that works, if not there may be a 4th screw to be removed. hope this helps even though there are no pics.

Recently I had to change the power window switch on my 02 explorer. I used your procedure to remove the panel/switch. It worked perfectly...thanks!

I need to know how to take off the interior door panel on rear driver side. to check a speaker wire. The speaker comes on when it want to.

Same deal as the fronts, they are all the same. Just remember to remove the panel around handle first.

there are 3-4 screws that need to be removed. they require a hex-driver to take them off. heres the directions:

1) remove two screws from bottom of panel near bottom of door.
2) take a small flat-head screw driver and pop off the little piece that surrounds the door handle.
3) remove piece where buttons for window control are. just slide your finger in between that piece and the panel and then pull towards you. disconnect wires from bottom of that piece.
4) there is another screw that needs to be removed. it is above the door handle area.
5) pull up on the entire panel and it should pop right off.

let me know if that works, if not there may be a 4th screw to be removed. hope this helps even though there are no pics.
Thanks to all .... After searching thru a bunch of sites and using 1/2 can of WD40 I still had the door ajar light on, no control of the outside mirrors and the radio went off as soon as I turned off the ignition. Then I found the post about the back ground wire and also the post on how to get the door panel off. Amazing what one little black wire will do. BUT ... on my '02 explorer I had to take off the controls before I could get to the third screw (obviously behind them) and I ** caution** anyone taking it off that control panel. The front of that panel has to come up first because the back tab points back on the horizontal and brakes off when you pull "desperately" hard enough to get it the panel off. I also had to take the speaker out to work on the inside to get the broken wire which was inside the "rubber boot" that covers the wires. I had to get the electrical tape off inside the door to get to it. Then I found out that a flexable wire will not push back thru the boot and had to get a stiff wire to use as a "fish" to pull it thru. Once I got an extra length of wire connected between the broken ends .. YEA!
Thanks for all the tips and don't forget the band-aids (the door metal can get YA!)

Thank you all very much. On the door panel removel. Bluemarble

More on rear door panel, 2002 Sport Trac

Hi,

I checked the instructions above and see that they detail the front door panel. I'm trying to replace door handles on the rear doors, and they're somewhat different. So far, I've:

Removed the single hex screw at the panel bottom
Removed two hex screws from the panel above the handle
Removed the plastic piece from the door handle opening
Removed the plastic piece from the window control and disconnected it

I then tried lifting up on the panel. It moves up about 1/4 inch and that's it.

So, what am I missing here?

Thanks for any help,

Bill

rear door panel

Thanks to every one for the info. on removing door panel and replaceing it. It worked. Thanks again. Bluemarble

Bill, after you pull up and move the panel that 1/4in give a little pull out towards you unless there is still a bolt left in.

I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer Explorer and like an earlier post have a side mirror to replace. I've removed the bezels on the handles and disconnected the lock and window switches. Supposedly there are three screws on the trim panel to remove but I could only locate the two at the bottom of the panel. Lifting up on the handle yields me nothing. There has to be something I've missed, but where? Was following instructions at autozone has online.

Thanks to all .... After searching thru a bunch of sites and using 1/2 can of WD40 I still had the door ajar light on, no control of the outside mirrors ... Then I found the post about the back ground wire and also the post on how to get the door panel off. Amazing what one little black wire will do.

Could someone please help locate the thread for the ground wire explanation/fix? My sideview mirrors work intermittently and my door switch is shot as well. A search has not turned up what I'm looking for....

Thanks!

EDIT: Further searching turned up a good explanation.

that third screw if i remember is near the handle or behind the window switch?

Short issue, it usually the wires in the rubber boot between the door and pillar that cut or frayed.

Typo - I have an 2006 Explorer, not an '05. Two screws at the bottom of the panel, two screws located inside the door handle, and two screws locked inside the door opening mechanism/handle. Lift up and it pops right off. BTW, those two electrical connections for the lock and window are aggravating to remove.

Back