Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

ABS light on...how bad?

Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
mkey1029
Columbia, SC
2000 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
ABS light on...how bad?

Brakes are in good shape...I am fairly inexperienced. Will a brake job fix this, or am I looking at some overpriced "computer" BS? Thanks for the response.
mkey1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

When the ABS light comes on your ABS is disabled. Now, how many miles are on the truck. If there is a lot of debris and build up around the one of the sensors it may not be working correctly. Also, some sensors do go bad and you should check them. A brake job will not/should not fix your problem.

-Drew

Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerDMB
When the ABS light comes on your ABS is disabled. Now, how many miles are on the truck. If there is a lot of debris and build up around the one of the sensors it may not be working correctly. Also, some sensors do go bad and you should check them. A brake job will not/should not fix your problem.

-Drew

EDIT: I don't know if autozone pulls abs codes, but you can try and see if you can get a code. That'll help you out

Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
BuffaloXplorer
The X had to go!
Buffalo, New York

2006 Impala SS

Vehicle Specs

No, they don't. Any decent repair shop can pull the code and determine which sensor is bad. Shouldn't cost TOO much.

303hp V8 w/DOD - XM Radio
Adios 1996 Explorer Conversion - 4.OHV6
BuffaloXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mine have trouble code 27 and no Ford Stealership would tell me what the code meant nor the Chilton manual. It so happen I found a website and guys was talking about the same code as mine and how to repair it.

You need to count the number of flashes on the ABS light and waited a few seconds and the second flash. As for code "27" it would flashes twice and waited a few seconds and flashes again 7 times.

The repair costed me $1.99 cents with a little knowledge of soldering. If thats your case, let me know and I can direct you on getting the part and how to replace the part.

1. XLT Ranger 4dr 4.0 5 spd 4X4-> K&N filter, grill insert, Stainless steel skid plate, 98 Mountaineer front axles swap, factory motor transplanted and new clutch kit, 3" Flowmaster 40 dual outlet, hard bedcover, JamesDuff traction bars, Bilstien shocks.
2. 1999 K1200RS BMW motorcycle <fast German technology>
3. 2005 Suzuki XL 7, the only small SUV with 7 passengers I could effort under $15K
4. 1970 VW project -needs exhaust, interior, extrical parts..
Ranger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When the ABS computer detects a fault in one of it's sensors it disables ABS braking (standard braking is unaffected). It does this because the sensors tell the ABS computer each wheel's speed; the ABS computer uses this info to pulse the brakes accordingly during a lock up condition... As such the Yellow ABS light is no immiedidate cause for alarm, just an indication that ABS braking is not working.

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
CougarX
Louisville, Kentucky
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Ranger Al - did you pull your own ABS codes? How did you do this without any special equipment? Just curious cause i need to do mine too.
CougarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
BuffaloXplorer
The X had to go!
Buffalo, New York

2006 Impala SS

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Al
You need to count the number of flashes on the ABS light and waited a few seconds and the second flash. As for code "27" it would flashes twice and waited a few seconds and flashes again 7 times.
I think you're talking a about the airbag light - the ABS does not do this. If it DOES, you're the only one on the forum that has had this happen

303hp V8 w/DOD - XM Radio
Adios 1996 Explorer Conversion - 4.OHV6
BuffaloXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
EBInterceptor
Ada, MI
'98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

My ABS light has gone on because my hub when bad and little metal shavings were blocking the sensor. Something to keep in mind since it could have been much worse when my hub blew out on the highway. Luckily I was able to limp to a place where I could fix it. Just something to think about if the brakes and sensor are still in good condition.

'07 Sport Trac Limited, 4.6L V8 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358201
EBInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Chris! You are right, it is the Airbag trouble code! Anyway, if anyone have airbag trouble code. I am willing to guide ya to get it fix.

I think you can pull the ABS from OBD II code reader from the local Autozone. I too having problem with the Chubby Blazer cause of the ABS stuff. I guessed, I'll get to it whenever the wife get tired of seeing it.

If anyone interested in the front ABS sensors (2 sensors), I still have it. Make me an offer.

1. XLT Ranger 4dr 4.0 5 spd 4X4-> K&N filter, grill insert, Stainless steel skid plate, 98 Mountaineer front axles swap, factory motor transplanted and new clutch kit, 3" Flowmaster 40 dual outlet, hard bedcover, JamesDuff traction bars, Bilstien shocks.
3. 2005 Suzuki XL 7, the only small SUV with 7 passengers I could effort under $15K
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
FallsRanger
Niagara falls
2000 Ranger xlt 4x4 offro

Vehicle Specs

US Dirty voltage

Man i bought my truck from told me abs light on due to left sensor reading back dirty voltage does that mean sensor shot or is there some other way of fixing it ?
FallsRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsRanger View Post
Man i bought my truck from told me abs light on due to left sensor reading back dirty voltage does that mean sensor shot or is there some other way of fixing it ?
It sounds like the sensor is sending back a constant lock up voltage.. As mentioned in some previous posts the ABS sensor magnetically detects the teeth on the ABS tone ring. When metal debris collects on the sensor it will become blind and unable to detect the individual teeth on the ABS tone ring and send out a constant lock up signal to the ABS computer.

Check out other threads such as ABS Sensor problem for more info.

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Ok.. my ABS sensor does go bad as well, I am not sure if it is too late to help you out. There is a rear sensor located on the pumkin, sometime you could clean it and reinstall it and will be fine. I tried but doesn't work, so I had to get mine at NAPA (around $7) and problem fixed.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
garythedoorman
2004 xlt

Vehicle Specs

My ABS light is on also and brakes are new and my 4x4 high light keeps flashing is this a serious issue?
garythedoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
drewsexplorer
Lebanon, Ohio
1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

My ABS light is on and the truck will not go into 4wd at all, i switch to 4hi or 4lo but nothing happens, just the light comes on and stays on(the 4hi or 4lo light). Should i use my OBDII reader on it, will that work?
drewsexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
rwenzing
Michigan
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsexplorer View Post
My ABS light is on and the truck will not go into 4wd at all, i switch to 4hi or 4lo but nothing happens, just the light comes on and stays on(the 4hi or 4lo light). Should i use my OBDII reader on it, will that work?
Probably not. Ordinary OBDII readers can only communicate with the PCM, not with the other modules like a 4WABS Module or GEM. A Ford dealer or a well equipped independent shop will have the necessary reader.

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click on "Glovebox"
rwenzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
drair
Athens, OH

Vehicle Specs

So, my ABS dash icon/light flashes 4 then 6, for a failure code of 46. After that, the ABS light stays on continuously. Can anyone tell me what an ABS error code of 46 translates to in English? I can't find them online, and as noted earlier in this thread, this isn't an engine control problems so my OBD-II reader is of no use.
Thanks.
drair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
drair
Athens, OH

Vehicle Specs

Make that Airbag light, not ABS

sorry for the confusion. I meant that my AIRBAG warning light is flashing a 4-6 code. Any idea what sensor or failure mode that means? Thanks.
drair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
ExploringNC
Hickory, NC
'98 XLT, '91 EB

Vehicle Specs

first and easiest thing is to clean the sensor located on top of the rear axle or just replace it, it's not much from parts store. Did you make sure fluid level correct?

Uwharrie 2010

BrooklynBay's List of Useful Threads
ExploringNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
joejoelewis
Oxon Hill, Maryland
2006 Explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp abs light on

My abs light came on, what does that mean?
joejoelewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page