What are some symptoms of bad lower ball-joints? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are some symptoms of bad lower ball-joints?

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some info on lower ball joints. How do you know when the lower ball-joints need replaceing? Any kinds of vibrations or sounds that would indicate bad lower ball-joints? How many miles should you be able to get on your truck before you have to replace them?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most common symptons are squeek going over bumps and when turning. At least that's what mine did when they went bad. Mine lasted 145k, but I consider myself pretty lucky. They usually go out around the 90-100k mark from what I've read.

Mine made squeeks going over bumps too. But there was no vibration or any other indicators. The OEM ball joints lasted a little over 100,000 miles.

When I jacked up the front end, I could grab the pass side front wheel and it had some play in it. The wheel should only rotate, not move in and out, top-to-bottom.

Same here. Very annoying squeeks at 100k miles over any type of bump, driveways, depressed manholes, EVEN highway expansion strips. But there was no vibration or noticeable steering issues.

How to check the lower ball joints:

Jack up vehicle and support it under the lower control arm so the wheel is an inch or two off the ground.

Grab the wheel at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and try to rock the wheel in and out while someone watches the ball joint. There should be no play. If any side to side play in the balljoint is seen, replace it.

Place a pry bar between the floor and the tire and lift up on the pry bar. The ball joint should have very little or no vertical deflection. If the deflection is more than about 1/16", the joints should be replaced. (I've noticed that even new factory joints have some vertical deflection.)

Balljoint life is very dependent upon the driving conditions. My '01 XLS needed to have the lower ball joints replaced at 28K and again at around 40k. Ford uses a non-greasable lower ball joint from the factory, and they don't last very long. When replacing the joints, DO NOT BUY FORD BALL JOINTS!!!! Use a Moog or TRW greasable ball joint and you shouldn't have to replace them again for a long time.

Back