Replace connector in Power Distribution Box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace connector in Power Distribution Box

cvxmike

Reaction score
City, State
Batavia, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a 1993 XLT Explorer. The Power Distribution Box connector at the Heater Blower Relay is starting to deteriorate because of high resistance heat caused by corroded contacts. I cleaned up the relay contacts and the blower motor is now working fine. However the Power Distribution Box connectors for that relay are marginal. How do I replace the female connector contacts for just the Heater Blower Relay?

Thanks for your help!

Mike Petersen

I'm not sure how but I would start at a salvage yard and see if I could buy a better dist. box and either transfer the pieces you need or switch boxes. At least you would be able to "study" the box better out of the X.

The boxes come apart. You have to remove the relays and/or fuses then release the yellow plastic keeper. After that you can release the wires from the back of the box. Each wire is locked into position with a locking pin. A tiny screwdriver, or O ring pick. or dentists tool, or whatever ou have can be used to unlock the pin, then pull the wire out.

You can them solder on a new end and push it back into place.

the yellow plastic keeper locks all the pins in place so wires cannot be pulled out.

Your best source for replacement parts (new end for the wire) is another power dist box from the junk yard, or from a relay place inside you box that may not be getting used.

Also you may be able to buy the end you need from Federal Mogul, I used to get some of the wiring pins from them, but have since only used parts from the junk yard (much cheaper). I have jars and jars full or Ford wire ends, I have spare power boxes, etc.

PM me if you need parts or more clarification.

Thanks to James Fortune and Bill Kemp. I plan to go the junkyard route. James your experience and advice were especial useful.

I went to the junkyard and got a replacement box. Bill your idea about being able to study the box was good. So far I have done that.

I completed the repair. I replaced 2 of the metal contacts. Relays are mounted in groups of 2 on a mounting block that can be removed from the Pwr Dist Box. I replaced 1 of these mounting blocks because heat had damaged it. They can be pushed out of the bottom of the Pwr Dist Box and are held in place by 2 locking tabs. I sprayed WD40 around the edges of the block because mine were held in tightly. One of them was very hard to remove so I removed all of its contacts, drilled holes through it, used needle-nose pliers to bust out interior plastic, and then removed the block. This assured the Pwr Dist Box main structure wound not be broken.

Once again thanks to James Fortune and Bill Kemp!

Mike Petersen

Back