Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"ģ > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

front wheel bouncing when turning

Old 01-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
front wheels bouncing when turning

Iíve got Explorer 4L SOHC í97 and when rear wheel slips it engages front wheel drive as well as from this moment my problem starts, I can feel grinding somewhere in front axle and when turning it intensifies and wheels are bouncing causing car bounce as well, it feels scary and as visited ford dealer and have been told few different things Iíve lost myself. I would be more than grateful if someone can help me.

Last edited by Luis696; 01-17-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Luis696 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Hartman
Elite Explorer
Indianapolis, IN

1996 5.0

Vehicle Specs

It sounds like you're stuck in 4low.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Do you know how can it be fixed??
Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

deleted your other post. Please do not double post.

-Drew

Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Ray Lobato

2006 Honda Accord

Vehicle Specs

Smile

Not 4LOW but you are stuck on 4wd.
This is caused by the transfercase. The "brown wire mod" would take care of this, but is not the answer to your solution.
Why is the T-case doing this?
if you disconnect the wires on the front of the T-case, you shouldn't have the problem, and it is in the electronics. If you still have it, then the solienoid is stuck and you will need to have that fixed.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
it sounds ok, but as mentioned above usually it drives ok and doesn't cause problems it is happening while driving onto slippery surface and front wheels are engaged or if I move switch on dashboard onto 4x4 high, apart from that it drives ok. Obviously once front wheels are engaged automatically (rear wheels slips) after driving for a while in a normal condition, or if switch to reverse and drive a bit then go to drive - problem disappears, same with the switch, once switch is back in AUTO problem disappears as well.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anytime you make a sharp turn on dry pavement or a high-traction surface, the front wheels have to roll farther than the rear wheels. When you are in 4 high and make a sharp turn, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together, and the front wheels can't roll farther than the rears. Driveline bind-up occurs, and you get the wheel hopping.

However, wheel hop and driveline bind-up is NOT a good thing. It puts a tremendous amount of stress on the driveline components and tends to break things.

If shifting back into 4auto makes it stop, then you should not have been in 4 high to begin with. If it's still doing it in 4 auto, then there are other problems.

Read the owner's manual. There is a good section for 4wd novices on the 4x4 operation.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will ó we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
glfredrick
"The Pastornator"
Louisville, Kentucky

86-98 Ranger STX

Vehicle Specs

Actually, you have a GEM module issue that will require either re-flashing or replacing the GEM. The GEM is the computer that controls the auto 4-wheel drive function.

You may also have problems with the speed sensors in the front wheels. They give problems when the front wheel bearings (non-rebuildable hubs on the 97) start to fail.

One further issue is changing the T-case oil. I found that it needs to be changed on a regular basis to stop the grabbing and binding as it went into and out of auto 4.

The auto 4 is a great feature when it works correctly -- my wife loved it -- except that our truck, like yours was locked into 4 about half the time, which killed mileage and wore out parts.

BTW, I flashed the GEM once, replaced it once, rebuilt the front hubs once, changed the fluid 4 times, and finally sold the truck because it still did it. I wasn't going to replace the T-case or the GEM again.

I also did some research on this issue and discovered that Ford purchased that T-case from Borg Warner, WITHOUT the recommended (by Borg Warner) computer to control it... BW wanted a computer that factored in EACH wheel speed sensor, while Ford cheaped out and only had front and rear controls. If that T-case had the correct computer, it would be a marvel of engineering. With the Ford computer, it is nothing but a headache that has to be bypassed to give any amount of satisfaction in daily driving...

Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
once switch is back in AUTO problem disappears as well.
This was why I was thinking it was only doing it in 4wd. In auto, it should not be engaging unless the rear wheels are slipping, at which point, the engagement and disengagement can be kind of abrupt and feel as if it's binding.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, Iíve read manual about 4x4 driving, information that my car doing same with 4x4 high was just because Iíve been looking how to unlock my vehicle from 4x4 high (as the dashboard light doesnít show it has been switched on) so Iíve tried to force change for 4x4 high and than switch it back off and it works. Anyway, as said 4x4 auto is great feature Ė if it works Ė in my case it doesnít or it does but something else doesnít, and this is the problem, as I donít want to you ďbrown wire modĒ as I think it is safer to have it as it should be. Bottom line is while TOD (as far as Iíve read it works) adds more power to front wheels problem occurs and obviously to TOD make any changes car has to be on a slippery surface.

I havenít check fluid level in T-case and Iím going to do so, hope it will help.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

OK, to narrow down the problem, unplug the transfer case connector and see if it still does it. If it does, it's a transfer case problem. If unplugging it stops the jerking and bucking, then it's a control issue: GEM, TOD relay, shaft speed sensor, etc. Any Ford dealership (well, state-side anyways.... don't know about London) should be able to connect the tester and view the GEM inputs and outputs to pinpoint the problem in a few minutes.

-Joe

~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 01-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks  Iíve been with ford two days ago, they have tested it and what they said is that they are not sure but suspecting that it is caused by diff, and that GEM is good, I donít believe they have tested one, I think what have they done is they have checked that lights are changing while switching and it means GEM works fine.
The only problem with ford here in UK is that they not selling any 4x4s apart from Ranger, so they are not to much alike 4x4 testers if you know what I mean and this is why I have started to look for help somewhere else.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Ray Lobato

2006 Honda Accord

Vehicle Specs

Question

Let's clear a few things up here then we will see if you really have a problem.

1) You must understand that in 4wd, on a hard surface and in a turn, your outer wheel WILL bounce or chirp. That is because the differential is trying to turn both wheels at the same rate and the outer wheel is really rotating faster than the inner tire. This is called binding and is normal. This is why you can't drive in 4wd in hard surfaces.
2) When you encounter wet conditions and the rear wheels start to slip, the GEM via the ABS sensors will put the truck into 4wd. This is usually transparant, but you could feel a jolt like feeling if the slipping is signifficant. This is also normal.
Anytime you are in 4wd and on a hard surface and are turning, binding in the axels will happen, and chirping or tire bouncing is the result.

Now please tell me if your problem exsists anytime other then these conditions

Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I will re4ply on one with one simple thing, I have my car lifted today, and wheels are bouncing even without any weight on them, and bouncing when turn only, so to explain it even more once wheels are rotating (car lifted, wheels doesnít touch ground) while turning steering wheel and reaching certain point wheels starting to jog, bounce or dribble (something like that). I donít know which word is the best.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

by bounce, do you mean that they move up and down, or do you mean that they are not rotating smoothly?

-Joe

~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I would say they are moving up and down, but once they are locked (steering wheel turn left or right) it is hard to turn them with bare hands as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #17
Ray Lobato

2006 Honda Accord

Vehicle Specs

Question

Sounds like you are saying that once the tire reaches the end of it's mechanical stop that it is bouncing. Well It will do that, once it hits the mechanical end. The steering pump is trying to overcome the mechanical stop and is bumping against it. It will do that. What you don't want is for the tires to do that before that mechanical stop. Does it do that (bounce or rattle) before the mechanical stop?

Last edited by Ray Lobato; 01-19-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Ray Lobato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

I'm so confused. :dunno

I don't have the foggiest idea what the thing is doing and I'm out of questions to ask.

Any possibility you can video-tape the vehicle doing what you're describing? I think that's the only thing that's going to fully explain what it's doing.....

-Joe

~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 01-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Luis696
London
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
yes, once max turned left or right it starting to bounce (move up and down) and you can see it and feel it while driving, the slower car is going the more you can feel it, in a critical moments whole front of a car is moving up and down (you know like those mexican cars with pneumatical suspension) and whole time I can feel and hear grinding noise somewhere in front of pedals.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #20
Skibug
Pensacola, FL
96 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Ok it sounds like you have the problem of a bad power steering pump or rack. My rack is going out and when I turn the wheels, I get a vibration in the whole truck. This vibration occurs mostly at low speeds while turning because at low speeds the power steering system has more strain on the system at low turning speeds.

Do this test and tell me what happens. Find some sand and come to a complete stop. Or simply jack up the front end. Turn your wheels back and forth while at a complete stop. If in sand and your truck begins to shudder/vibrate then either your power steering pump or your rack and pinion setup is going bad. The shudder should be more noticeable while your truck is on the ground compared to when your truck is lifted off the ground due to the resistance put on the power steering system. This would also explain the experince you have of when you jacked it up and turn the wheels all the way to lock and the vibration occured. When the wheels are turned all the way to the steering stops and held there, strain is being put on the power steering system.

See this post for a little more info.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=150816

I don't think your problem is driveline related at all.
Skibug is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page