Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

No Reverse Forward all Good

Old 01-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
scorch
boise, ida
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
No Reverse Forward all Good

Have a 94 XLT, reverse no work. Get her out of garage, put in drive or OD works fine. Put in N acts like !st. Called 3 shops in area say rebuild time.Any ideas or confermation would be greatly appreciated.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Up til you said N acts like first, I was thinking maybe either a plugged filter or a burned reverse clutch, but that kinda says linkage issues. check your linkages... then if external is ok, drop the pan and check the Z link. The fact you are not getting the gear commanded in neutral is an odd symptom other than linkage.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
scorch
boise, ida
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
This all started Sat. morning. First thing I did was read through checking linkage, so reset it as directed in manual. still same, so will pull pan,change filter and check Z link.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I see that you are new here. One suggestion of things to check when you pull the pan is the low/reverse servo. If you are having a problem with reverse besides the problem with neutral, this servo has two O-rings (one big, and one small) that go bad after a while, and could leak. You will lose hydraulic pressure if this happens. I'm not implying that this will solve your problem, but it's a good thing to check while your pan is off anyway.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
One thing that I'm curious about is what if you try to move your shifter into a setting in between the usual park, or drive, but not locked in the reverse position. I once saw a similar problem like this on a 94 Aerostar. When I started to wiggle the shifter a little bit, it then went into reverse, but not right away. Sometimes the cables may stretch a bit. There is a set screw in the area where the end of the cable snaps onto the arm of the transmission to fine tune the area where the gears are supposed to be set. It's a small hex head bolt. I don't remember the exact size, maybe 5/16", or 8 mm. Your model could be a little different.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
BrianOrkney
seattle washington
1993 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Me Too!

Ive got the exact same thing and no one will believe me that it's not the linkage! what did you do?
BrianOrkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
CanyonGT
newton,ia
1996 xlt v8 awd

Vehicle Specs

me too! but it's a 1996 v8 awd explorer, but last week it acted like the transmission finnally went, but reverse suddenly works!
CanyonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
truesprocket
1993 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Hi I have a 93 explorer & my reverse wont kick in eather, my fluid leaked out over months of no use to the point that none was on the dip stick I topped it up & I still no reverse I tried reverse on a hill I even turned off the truck & tried from park & from nutral & it still wanted to go forward even with a slow roll backwards, I got it stuch in the woods last week because I didn't want to keep going up what turned in to a slim lightly used ATV path. well this week I tried to get reverse again & used a winch both with no success so I finished the path until I could turn around(drive in a curcle) & the take it back down the same path, I ran over big downed trees, between trees I was just a tad big for, over big rocks & heavily sloped rock faces but I got it out! its even with regular tires its a true 4x4! but I beat the body really bad, ripped off the rocker plastic's & bent the back bumper up pretty good, I also learn what a piece of crap my little winch is. I'm not sure why I can't get reverse but mine is from sitting! not linkage or any thing bent or broken it is for sure more like a stuck valve or something that dried out & now won't mover or a seal that rotted & now no hydrolic pressure for reverse but with Canyon's finally cicking in I''ll go with somthing stuck & doesn't have the pressure to move it,Mine from sitting with no trany fluid (for 29 month's!) started trying on the 4th try & fired up on the 7th! what a good truck! just need reverse & I'm off to the Bush again! is there already an answer to this "no reverse" issue please let me know, PS, I bought this truck for bush road mineral hunting in the Gooderham area, I'm off Tamerak lake rd if you know any good mineral or fancy rock hunting grounds let me know
truesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page