Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Threads We'd Like To See

Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Threads We'd Like To See

While I am already well backlogged on some of my project threads, you may have thread ideas you'd like to see that could spur others to start doing photo threads.... this thread is where you can post your wish list....

remember, a picture IS worth a thousand words, so consider doing one yourself.... no project is too small. The knowledge base here is from newbie to ASE certified mechanic.... so there wil always be SOME audience!
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BW 1354 DOUBLER install hahahaha
I know about 4 members who have been sitting on one of these T cases for about/more then a year now. RangerX may be the first to get his installed

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
karl_burns
Elite Explorer
Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!

98 Sport OHV 5speed

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Freaking Fuel Filter! I've wresteled with mine TWICE for an hour each and can't get the bugger off! Even went inside and ate some spinach between sessions!

Karl

Eclipse, McIntosh, Focal and JL sound system
karl_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

how about this: Axle 101

Guess what... Lots of pictures

-Drew

Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ya know I need to replace my fuel filter... maybe I'll see if I can get it off and do a thread. On a serious note - if you will permit me....guys, fuel filter removal has some dangers. If you do not relieve the pressure, when it comes off it will spray a little fuel (and even if you do it will spread a little fuel around by gravity).... not a lot admittedly... but add a shoplight for better visibility.... some fuel spray.... and well... BE CAREFUL. People HAVE been badly burned doing this. BE CAREFUL!!! Please. NO SHOPLIGHTS. Relieve pressure first.

Thank you for staying safe.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

I hate it when the fuel starts running down your arm, like under your work shirt, and there is nothing you can do but keep working at that filter....argh stinks and it's COLD!! hahaha

The exploder fuel filter is a PITA but with the correct tools you can make short work of it 90% of the time. Sometimes those pressure clips are FUBAR'D but you can buy new springs to install in most auto parts stores for a couple bucks.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mine was a total PITA.

The pressure fittings were rusted to the filter.

After a half of a can of WD40 and enough bad words to keep a Naval gunship afloat...I broke the nylon line running from the tank to the filter.

I ended up having to cut the metal end of the nylon line off with a hack saw blade and replacing the nylon line with 3/8 rubber 4 hose clamps and a new pressure fitting. Total cost about $21.

Of course, I broke the line at 7:30 on a Sunday night and Monday was Martin Luther King day. Luckily Napa doesnt celebrate MLK day

Old 02-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Gremlinstien
Reeseville, WI
91 4dr

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswells78
I ended up having to cut the metal end of the nylon line off with a hack saw blade and replacing the nylon line with 3/8 rubber 4 hose clamps and a new pressure fitting. Total cost about $21.
I would advise against that method myself

A compression fitting works VERY well on those plastic lines, even better when you put a sleave inside the tube first, but still ok with out it. The compression fittings will easily hold up to the pressure of the fuel system.

I have never trusted the hose clamp method. It is way too easy for it to slide off of the plastic.

Just my $.02 incase anyone cares.
Gremlinstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

I build my own nylon fuel lines from Ford parts.

Boiling water will get the hose over all three flares on the stock fittings, it is an art form! hahaha

If you dont get all 3 flares it will leak!
I dont do clamps either, they just never held up to the pressure.

I will stick with my 88 fuel filter, SO SIMPLE.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I didn't use just regular $.10 hose clamps. Napa sells special hose clamps that are for use with fuel lines. They were about $2.00 each!

I uses a compression fitting on the filter end but I used the hose clamps to attach the compression fitting to the hose.

It has held up for 3 tanks of gas now and no sign of leak or problem. I used hose that is specifically for fuel lines too. Not just any rubber hose. The 3/8 fuel line has walls that are about 1/4" thickness.

410, how do you make those clamped on steel fittings like OEM? I looked for these and a possible crimping tool to attach them, but no luck. That is why I went with rubber line and clamps.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
I would like to see something on a CVT, 6, and 7 speed automatics, hybrid drivetrain, flexible fuel driveline components, and CNG conversions. They are popular in the UK on average vehicles, but only on commercial vehicles like buses, and trucks here. Electric vehicle conversion articles would also be interesting. I read an article on another website a while ago about somebody that converted his Jeep Cherokee to an all electric setup when his engine died at over 400,000 miles. I also have a book that shows somebody that converted an S-10 pickup into an EV. He bought one with a dead engine just for doing this kind of project. An artice about the new LED headlights that are probably going to replace HID would also be interesting. Maybe a write up on installing car alarms, remote starters, and navigation systems would be good too. I understand that not everything would be going into this section. Maybe some things might not be for this website in general, but it's food for thought.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I want you all to do TWO things. Keep thinking outside the box, and ask...WILL *I* do one ? Photo threads are hard work but very rewarding...dare ya.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page