Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,029
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Section why not angle the box, tilt it forward, this would get your pitman arm closer no? and also help with the input shaft angle?

Arent they angled a bit anyways?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good luck man.

My IFS toyota box is up agaist the radiator and my steering shaft angle is still pretty bad...good luck with it ~10" closer.

I would ONLY run a "borgeson" (spelling?) style steering shaft with the joints on both ends of the shaft. I will upgrade to one when I go full-hydro, the bushing on the column is wearing out b/c mine is at such a severe angle (down and to the left, since it's outboard of the frame)

got a couple ?s here Section. firts what did your ubolts and plates come off of ?second what size tubing did you use for your front spring mounts ?

Johnny, why do you want to move the box back? you never want the tie rod and drag link to touch, i would leave it alone if it all clears right there.

His u bolts and plates are stock to the waggy d44.

B2Dude said:
Johnny, why do you want to move the box back? you never want the tie rod and drag link to touch, i would leave it alone if it all clears right there.

His u bolts and plates are stock to the waggy d44.

Phil.... come... home... please! :p

I left it where it was. Now I am calling summit to order the Borgenensoeon steering shaft. BnTMike said they can throw a Ford end on one side and Yota on the other. So it would weld right up. :cool:

I plated the frame and it will be sleved as well. I nearly melted the DeWalt 1/2 while drilling the holes. :confused:

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 954

"Could have done without that."

Time to start my summer diet I guess. :eek:

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 920

whose your baby's daddy? LOL

jasonb said:
whose your baby's daddy? LOL

You can be after I get one of your diff covers! :D

they're blingarific!

plate the stool!

You are going to have to get some triangulation in that stool before it rolls over and kills you.

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 909

on something like a stool, I'd use at least DOM or chromo. if you use poop pipe, you'll probably die instantly.

1995 Aerostar steering shaft. Gonna give it a try.

It looks long because I pulled everything from behind the steering wheel to the steering box. :cool:

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 916

Well the Aerostar shaft bolts onto the Yota box! Who would have thought that! But...

The u-joints were not designed to go at the extreme angle I think I need. I guess I'll have to bolt it onto the FJ60 box and see what it does in there.

Attachments

• 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 887
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 895

Here are some pictures of the Explorer VS Aerostar shafts. This is the upper section which goes from behind the steering wheel to through the firewall.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 893
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 894

Here it is shortened by about an inch and mounted. Now I am getting some binding. Barely though. I'm thinking I can just shave a little off the steering input gear on the box and a little off the inside of the ujoint. That would hopefully be more than enough. :thumbsup:

But would it be safe?

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 899

I figured out you can shorten the top shaft instead of the bottom one. Here you can see how close it mounts to the firewall now. Which also makes for a slightly less radical angle.

Attachments

• shaft3.jpg
    shaft3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 897

Which now made me realize I have a 3-joint system with no support bearings. :eek: :confused: I guess the firewall sort of acts as a support. We'll see how that goes. :p

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 893

how close is that rubber boot to the header tube?

Looks great so far man!

410Fortune said:
how close is that rubber boot to the header tube?

Looks great so far man!

It's a couple inches. It just looks close. Here's a sorta top view.

Attachments

• shaft4.jpg
    shaft4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 886

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back