How many digits does your first gen odometer have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many digits does your first gen odometer have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my moms '94 with a build date of 1/'94 only has 5+tenth..it rolled over 100k the other day..it was weird to see it with "no miles" on it..lol

My spare gauge out of a '91 has 5 + tenths..

Our '92 gauge also has 5 + tenths from the factory.. Last year it looked like this...

300k.jpg

I had to manually change the "2" sticker to "3" afterwards.

It has shown 0 miles twice since we have owned it (we bought it with 100k+ miles on it).

~Mark

93 Sport 6 digits plus tenths

5 digits, i bought the truck with 96,000 miles, i got to watch it roll back to zero then

now its at 196k, and once i get this motor back in, im gonna watch it roll over again =)

im gonna use your '2' idea maniak hehehe

With our odometers being in kilometers in Canada we have had six digits plus tenths for a long time now. My first car was a 1980 model and only had five. Given that 100,000 kilometers is about 62,000 miles it didn't take people long to figure out that the average car would roll the odometer a couple of times at least.

My 92 has 5. It rolled over soon after I got it (it had about 99500 showing), and I have no idea if that was it's first or second trip around....

wow maniak thats a bunch of miles...

is it hard to take off the plastic to put the number sticker on?

94 Sport: 5 digits. My truck rolled off the line in Louisville, KY in Nov. 1993. Now, I wonder if ALL 1st gens made at the Louisville, KY plant had 5 digit odo's...maybe the trucks made in Windsor, Ontario had 6??

doing a quick yahoo search for ford explorer odometer digits
I found this quote on the first hit (another board... find it yourself out of respect for this site)
"Up until like 93 or some 94's they only had 5 digit speedometers. My 94, I think, was built in late 93 because it has a 5 digit speedo and some 94's have six digit. On a 92 it would be only 5. Good Luck"

My made early 94 (Feb I recall) which would be a 'late' 94 has 6 digits (just turned 100,000). The author states his is an early 94 (August + 93.... auto makers start the year in summer I believe, so a early 94 is built in summer 93)

I must add the Canada / America plant does add speculation to me. I know my truck is Canada, so it might be that as well. Too cold right now to dig though the glove box to find my VIN search results, so all this is just speculation at the moment. I'll check in the morning & repost (2nd shift bites)
Walter

Current 94 6, last 94 sport 6, My friends 94 also 6.

OOps.... went to the glove box this morning. My truck was built in Kentucky, 434,249th built. 12 th digit is a letter. A is up to 99,999, then B is 99,999 + 99,999, etc, etc. My digit is a D, so 99,999 x 4 = 399,996. Now add last 5 digits 13 through 17 (mine is 34253).

So it's entirely possible late model 94's odometer digits are dictated by date of manufacturer, not country.

Walter

I can pull the plastic off the gauges in < 10 minutes now.. Heck, I can pull the gauge cluster completly out in 15.. But I"ve done it at least 10 times.

~Mark

just sold a 94 X with 168,000. running great

walterd140 said:
My truck was built in Kentucky, 434,249th built. 12 th digit is a letter. A is up to 99,999, then B is 99,999 + 99,999, etc, etc. My digit is a D, so 99,999 x 4 = 399,996. Now add last 5 digits 13 through 17 (mine is 34253).

Now THIS should be added to the ntrprize page. All it says about the 12th-17th digits are that they are "check codes". Very nice info Walter.

Thanks Rhett. Friends don't call me the king of odd info for nothing :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, by those calcs my truck was the 212,059th Explorer produced for the 1994 model year. Does that sound right? I didn't know they made that many per year.

Back