• Register Today It's free!

Power windows is a no go!

RickTart7

Reaction score
City, State
Eastpointe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2003 Exploer xlt. Today I tried to roll down my windows and nothing happened. I checked the owners manual and the only thing with power windows is the #62 circuit breaker fuse. I figured it wouldnt cost much, and that I would buy it thinking it would fix the problem. I guess pepboys and autozone dont carry the right size one that I need. Its the sixe of a large maxi fuse and the ones they have are smaller. Am I going to have to go to the dealer to buy this circuit breaker? Could I have other problems? Is there any way to test it? Any info would be help to me. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well hell thanks for all the help guys.

I ended up finding the problem. It was a bad wire between fuse block and the switch. Replaced it and everything is good.

Well, at least you saved the expense of the fuse.

Truthfully, alot of guys (like myself) read the forums as it applies only to their vehicle year....so, a slow response on this part of the site is reasonable, IMHO. Being the number of guys who have a late model Explorer......as compared to the earlier models.

What am I doing here??? Oh well........back to my cave.

Aloha, Mark

Power Windows

RickTart7,

Curious how you found the wire that was bad. How did you do it?

My windows don't work either......

Power windows on '02 XLT won't work!

All my windows won't work either on my '02 XLT. Anyone offer advice please? Broken wire possibly...where? What fuse or relay should I be looking for? Haynes does not say (neither does the owners manual).
Thank you in advance!

All my windows won't work either on my '02 XLT. Anyone offer advice please? Broken wire possibly...where? What fuse or relay should I be looking for? Haynes does not say (neither does the owners manual).
Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum. The power windows are on the delayed accessories system. Fuse 17 in the underdash fusebox and fuse 6 in the underhood power dist. box. Also, relay 62 in the power dist. box.

Check to see if it's throwing an error code. Code B1302 or B1342 would be relevant.

I'm with them on this one. Only mine's a '93. All of my windows roll down except for my drivers side... Which rolls up and down but it sounds like the motor's straining to make it move. I can push it up or down with my hand *gentle of course* and it will go back up or down... so I know it's not the motor... All of the other windows work fine. Any ideas? I'd like to save the expense of taking it to my friend's dad's shop if I could. I've owned it for about a month now and it's been like this since we bought it. But it came with an "as is" sale. Thanks for the help. I'd appreciate it.

windows won't work '02 XLT

Welcome to the forum. The power windows are on the delayed accessories system. Fuse 17 in the underdash fusebox and fuse 6 in the underhood power dist. box. Also, relay 62 in the power dist. box.

Check to see if it's throwing an error code. Code B1302 or B1342 would be relevant.

Thank you. I will check the fuses now that I know which ones!;)

power windows on 02 X

Hey all,
For those who keep coming back looking for someone to explain what was the final problem...

Inside the driver's door, where the all the wires route thru the door into the side wall of the truck, there hidden inside all the electrical tape, was a broken red power wire. The wire was too short and finally broke after the door was opened and closed 1 too many times. It was just barely making contact once in a while so it was hard to diagnose at first.

I took off the door, added about a 8" piece of the same gauge wire and wrapped it back up. No problems with windows or master switches on driver's door again.

Good luck!

Gauge

Anyone know what gauge wire is running through here? I have the same problem and the broken wire in my door is black. It looks to be 12 or 14 gauge but I am not sure.

Anyone know what gauge wire is running through here? I have the same problem and the broken wire in my door is black. It looks to be 12 or 14 gauge but I am not sure.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Just go ahead and use the #12. Over sizing the wire is not a problem. You should never under size the wire.

Don't know if you need it, but here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for and repairing broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Good luck with the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back