In need of braided fuel line 97 4.0L SOHC :-( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In need of braided fuel line 97 4.0L SOHC :-(

Jeffair10

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi all, I have been reading this forum for a while now and must say it is an excellent source of information. Thank you!

Well I screwed up jump starting a co-worker w/ my Explorer, and therefore need that bloody $542.00 PTFE braided fuel line that connects to the injection rail. I know that the dealer would have both the supply and return line included along with the fuel pressure regulator, but that chunck of change is simply too much :thumbdwn:

So is there anyone who may have blown a 4.0L SOHC engine laying around that still has these lines intact? :D I really only need the supply line as I have gotten the two lines seperated, and I have called all the bone yards in the surrounding three counties. They say they do not save the fuel lines when they yank the engines out..

I am willing to pay a fair price for these/it, but I really do not want to spend upwards of $600.00 and still have to intall them.

Peace ~ Jeff This forum ROCKS :thumbsup:

PS I need my Explorer BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how would jump starting a car make you need a fuel line?

Welcome to this forum! I'm also curious how you could have messed up a fuel line from a jump start. One idea is to fabricate a line yourself out of braided stainless steel hose like the kind you use to connect a faucet, or just repair the bad spot with a fitting, and clamps. Some places that repair hydraulic lines, and A/C lines also have a special crimping tool to connect the ends of these lines with special crimped on ends (no hose clamps). You have these options, or just check an auto parts store.

Thanks for the suggestions, no doubt it is very odd that using a metal bracket as a ground for jump starting could heat up the fuel line until it punctures, but alas, it will. Looking through the various recalls for '97 4.0L Explorers it says that the fix for this was simply to put a warning sticker on the bracket and install a more "grounding friendly" bolt at the alternator.......

You used the alt braket as a grnd when jump starting with cables?pls explaine furthur

Details here
I used the bracket accidently and the line now needs replaced. No doubt I would like to find a used one; as noted above, the new one is a whopping $542.00 from the dealer and part stores do not carry it... :thumbdwn:

Thanks for posting this valuable information. I'm sorry that it happened to you. I wonder if there were any lawsuits about this. This information should be a sticky. Here is the information from that recall:
1997 Ford Explorer Recalls

1997 FORD EXPLORER FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE DELIVERY HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Recall Date:
MAR 19, 1998

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MULTI-PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM ENGINES. THE ENGINE FUEL LINES CAN BE DAMAGED IF THE VEHICLE IS JUMP STARTED AND THE GROUND CABLE IS ATTACHED TO THE FUEL LINE BRACKET THAT IS LOCATED NEAR THE BATTERY. SINCE THE BRACKET IS NOT GROUNDED, THE STAINLESS STEEL FUEL LINE BRAID COULD ACT AS A GROUND POTENTIALLY OVERHEATING THE PTFE INNER LINER OF THE FUEL LINE RESULTING IN DAMAGE TO THE FUEL LINE.

Consequence:
THE FUEL LINES CAN LEAK, AND IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, A FIRE COULD POTENTIALLY RESULT.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A WARNING LABEL ON THE FUEL LINE BRACKET ADVISING OWNERS NOT TO USE IT FOR A JUMP START GROUND. ALSO A REVISED BOLT WILL BE INSTALLED IN THE ALTERNATOR BRACKET TO PROVIDE A CONVENIENT JUMP START GROUND LOCATION.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Damn good info BB,. on my 03 the alt holdown bolt do's have an extension (see Pic)
using a VOM it is a good grn source.
In the old days we would just put the neg clamp on the bumper, hard to do with todays plastic cars.
What I cannot find is this fuel line bracket.

Attachments

• Mvc-031s.jpg
    Mvc-031s.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,214

Thats odd.. I just do negative to negative & positive to positive.

Blee1099 said:
Thats odd.. I just do negative to negative & positive to positive.
So do I but your not supposed to do that, never seen a Batt blow up yet but am certain it has happened somewhere

Try sending an e-mail to Torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com . He is one of the site sponsors and has Genuine Ford Parts for significantly less than the dealers sell them for.

That is pretty interesting.

But they hardly ever fail on their own so I think I would just head to the local boneyard and pull one off a rolled Ex.

i use neg to neg and pos to pos on my 5.0...am i doin this right? i dont wanna go blind from a battery goin off near my face.

lol and i thought i went stupid on doin something as simple as that. anyways why dont you just buy some lines from a junked explorer at the junk yard?

Thanks for the link to Torre. I would love to get the line/s from a junked Explorer, but I have called every single junkyard in my phone book and was told they did not have them. Somewhere there has to be a blown Explorer or otherwise junked one with the lines still intact, but I have yet to find it/them... and I am looking...

where in ohio do you live? i know a place that has to have em. Perry auto. if ou want there number i can give it to you.

Hi '97 V8, I am in Leetonia, Ohio, about one hour due South of Cleveland. I would like to have the number and I will see if they will send me the part,f it is in Lima as Lima is a long ways away from here. Thanks man!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not a prob...there number is 419-221-2995, toll free is 1-800-356-4586

Back