• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer trans ???????

manxman

Reaction score
City, State
Canada,Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
none yet
I was going to look into buying a Ford Explorer but everyone I look at has an auto trans.This must be a week point I looked at 3 and the trans needed to be fixed or replaced.What I would like to know did they sell them in a standard trans any info would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the 91-94 Explorer, a 5 speed manual was available. For a 95-01, the 5 speed was available but very rare unless you get a 2 door sport model.

Explorer#2 said:
and yeah the tranny is the weak point of any X

But if there treated right, then can get 130,000 and still be in ok shape.

The one in my ole explorer is orginal, the owner previously kept the trans fluid changed. Also he did not abuse the truck. Sadly as the trucks get older, it gets harder to find a orginal owner that was nice to it ;)

Keep looking around, your bound to run into a manual or auto thats in goos shape. I know my dads old 92 ranger which he sold to a gy up the street is going on 180,000 orginal miles on the trans. Supposedly that was a bad trans year :/

All about the orginal owners i think. Good luck finding the one of your dreams.

my old X had 130,000 miles with the orginal tranny and had no problems, but the first thing to go on most X is the tranny. but then my new X has 90,000 miles and the tranny just acts strange some times, not enough to make me worry but it does

I searched for a decent used car for almost a year and ended up with a 92 x and I am happy with it. It has things that need work and the tranny is one but most cars have signature problems.

Good luck!

Joseph

It definately has a lot to do with who owned the vehicle prior. Mine has 112K on the clock with the original trans and it shifts like new, with no problems at all.(knock on wood) My truck was a one owner as well and he was an older gentleman who never abused the truck.(it has never even seen redline, let alone had anything towed with it,etc. :D ) He kept the X maintained right and tranny fluid changed every 30k. I replaced the Vaccum Modulator(common failure part) and that is it. There are other members on here whose original tranny's have over 200K on them. Basically, there are a ton of these things on the road and with a little patience you can find a nice one owner that has been properly cared for and not beat to death. Of coarse if you want a manny tranny then rock on! :thumbsup:

BTW: 93 4x4 with 112K well cared for miles.

Back